Wonderware/Blunderware
Window Maker/Widow Maker
iFix/IFuc$ed
Logix/Clogix
Logix 5000/5K Bugs
FTView/FTSpew
Excel/ExSmell
PanelView/PanelSpew

I remember a trade show when they introduced what is now Rockwell Software as Rocksoft. That name lasted about 2 hours when everybody was saying "Pull down your Wonderware and get your Rocksoft".

Oh and to answer your question, yes you still have to hold shift to click on something so it doesn't move! It's up to version 10.5 now and NOTHING has changed since version 7.11. They spend all their resources on that System Platform garbage I refuse to use.

thank you. finally an honest answer!

I've been working with Wonderware InTouch since it was running on the Windows 3.1 OS, and I've never "had to" hold down the shift key prior to selecting an object in WindowMaker. I've always had the option of doing so, if I am attempting to pick out a small object surrounded (or overlaid) by other nearby objects. I can assure you that this is still an option in Version 2014 R2 SP1.

Holding down the shift key prior to clicking on an object allows you to avoid the possibility of accidentally moving the object that you are attempting to select. I like this particular feature, but it's never been mandatory to employ the feature in order to select an object. You can select an object by wrapping a "rubber band box" around it, if that's your preferred method.

your turn.

Yes, still have to hold down the shift key. They got that zoom feature which helps some but also crashes windowmaker sometimes...and it's up to version 11.1 (2014 R2).

You CAN select an object with out holding down the shift key.
Have you tried??

You members have put so much doubt in my head I had to start up Intouch to prove it to myself.....and yes you can select an object with or without the shift key.
IF shift key is used....object will not inadvertently or accidentally move on selection.

Last edited:
Have you tried??

You members have put so much doubt in my head I had to start up Intouch to prove it to myself.....and yes you can select an object with or without the shift key.
IF shift key is used....object will not inadvertently or accidentally move on selection.

Dude, I believe you, just not in your version.

I'm pretty sure all of us here has experienced the following:
"It works fine on my pc and no one has ever had that problem"

NetNathan said:
Have you tried??

Yeah I know I can but it will move sometimes if you don't have a steady hand on that mouse.

ganutenator said:
It wasn't I that had a problem w/ it as much as all of the oil field dunderheads that would click on objects and inadvertently move them.
This is one of the biggest annoyances for me. Tech would click on an object to get a PLC address or something and would slightly move the object and then save the screen. Or if they make a change you find out they would inadvertently move half a dozen objects that were previously aligned and spaced evenly. Happens all the time here. Use to have an old timer with shaky hands. Really nice guy but had to ban him from using the development node. We set up a separate laptop just for him.

I guess I am just missing something here.
I can select without holding down the shift key and no object movement. You DO have to be precise on the pick.
It is easier for me to hold down the shift key when I do it because I do not have to worry about moving the object.
This has been in every version I have worked on, at least since 7.11. I Don't remember all the versions...but most of my work started with especially 7.0, 7.1, 7.11, 8.0, then on to 9.5, 10.0, 10.1, 10.5, and 2012 R2. I was taught the shift / click function in a class on 7.11.

Last edited:
I guess I am just missing something here.
I can select without holding down the shift key and no object movement. You DO have to be precise on the pick.
It is easier for me to hold down the shift key when I do it because I do not have to worry about moving the object.
This has been in every version I have worked on, at least since 7.11. I Don't remember all the versions...but most of my work started with especially 7.0, 7.1, 7.11, 8.0, then on to 9.5, 10.0, 10.1, 10.5, and 2012 R2. I was taught the shift / click function in a class on 7.11.

You have to do it fast. Just click one object after another quickly. If the mouse drags a couple pixels while you click, it will drag the object as well. I'm not questioning the use of the shift key. I know how it works and thanks for explaining on how it works again! As op stated, why do we still have to hold it down after 11 major revisions just to overcome this annoyance? I just got off a couple weeks on an ME project and didn't have this problem. Jumped back on Intouch and I have to either slow down or use the shift key.

I have a trackball too.
Specifically because of shyt like this.
I wish I could delete this thread now.
The question wasn't if it ever was an issue.
It was most clearly an issue back in the day. Unless you clicked on an area of the screen first, i.e. went straight from opening the screen to clicking on an object, the object would move. All day, every day. Not even worth discussing.

The question was does this still happen, geez!

Unless you clicked on an area of the screen first, i.e. went straight from opening the screen to clicking on an object, the object would move. All day, every day.

You got me on that one. Don't experience it. BTW, WW address the click/move problem back in 2002 (FAQ5328 Clicking on an object in WindowMaker causes it to move). In so many words, don't turn off the grid and if you do, hold down the shift key. Now if turning off the grid is the cause, maybe allowing the grid to be 1 pixel wide would solve the problem?