Best approach for single axis motion control (3-positions)

biederboat

Hi,

I am working on an automation project that will require, among other things, a single axis motion that has three stop positions. I don't know for sure yet, but it's possible the retracted and fully extended positions will always be the same. The "middle" position will definitely vary. If it was only an extend and retract, it would be a slam dunk for a pneumatic slide. Given that I need three positions, I'm wondering what the best device would be. I could go with a stacked pneumatic slide (one over the other) but space issues might make that cumbersome. I'm leaning towards a compact electric slide (looks like SMC makes some). Are there any other options? Also, I would really really really like to do this with a PLC. Right now we have only Automation Direct and are quite happy with those. The other I/O on this project is pretty straightforward.

Thanks!
BB