Best Motors for a small positioning application within a large project ??

milmat1

I have a machine in design stage that has an AB Control Logix PLC, With 24 SEW Eurodrive VFD's.(Movidrive B). The VFD's are talking Ethernet/S-Buss via the SEW gateways. The machine is late in the design stage as the panels are being built now.

I need 4 axis of positioning on the machine that will require 4 small motors of some type.

With the AB platform (PLC) would I be better off to look at using Servo's or maybe stepper motors ?

The movements are small and require little torque..

What would you suggest ??

How small are we talking ? Do you have a NEMA motor style in mind, or some torque requirements ?

Do you need to coordinate these motors with other axes, or are they standalone ?

Do you have any panel space for amplifiers, or are you looking for an on-machine motor ?

I've been experimenting with the JVL MAC50 motors and the AMCI integrated steppers with EtherNet/IP onboard. You would need to add a 24V DC power supply to your system to provide them with power.

How small are we talking ? Do you have a NEMA motor style in mind, or some torque requirements ?

Do you need to coordinate these motors with other axes, or are they standalone ?

Do you have any panel space for amplifiers, or are you looking for an on-machine motor ?

I've been experimenting with the JVL MAC50 motors and the AMCI integrated steppers with EtherNet/IP onboard. You would need to add a 24V DC power supply to your system to provide them with power.

Ken,
Thanks for the reply. They will be stand alone, only need to position a small head in X and Y. Z-Axis is pneumatic/hydraulic.

Panel space is no problem and 24VDC is everywhere on this machine.

As for size they haven't given me a torque requirement yet but all we are doing is moving a small dovetail slide no more than a few inches in X and Y. And the load is approx. 20lbs, so a very small servo with gearbox...

My AB rep is going to come talk to me about some servo's But depending on cost this is a great application for a stepper I think...

I was looking at the AMCI website and they have a controller that fits in the CL rack...Pretty interesting...

I have used Kinetix 6k but my personal preference is Yaskawa Sigma 5 with MP2300 motion controller.

Marys in nicely via ethernet/ip to a CLogix.

The drives and motors pack more punch for the size and the cost.

Also have vastly superior auto tuning along with battery backed serial encoders, much smaller feedback cables, and are very durable.

Why wouldn't you stay with SEW and use their servo motors and drives?
Especially since it's on the project already

Ken,

I am trying to get a JVL MAC400 to talk to a SLC 505 using the EEM instruction for explicit Ethernet IP messaging. It seems that I can read registers but no luck setting data (Service Code 0X10). I have tried every manipulation of the arrangement of data, but nothing works. However, when I set the servo using MacTalk to Position mode, I can write a 0 to register 2 and put it in Passive Mode, but that's all. I am using the SLC because this is a retrofit for a customer and there is no room in the control cabinet. Any ideas?

I don't know if the JVL EtherNet/IP implementation can be commanded by MSG instructions from the SLC-5/05. It's never been advertised to do so and I've never seen an example of it.

Are you sending messages to the JVL parameter object (Class 0x64), or to the Assembly object ?

Last edited:
If you use the assembly class, which registers can you access? It only specifies 20 bytes.