Blue hose and control wire same conduit

bright676

I need to run a 120 control wire for a solenoid and the easiest way I see is using the blue hose conduit as it's the only thing in it.
The run is only about 50 feet and the wire I need to add to it will be going to the plc
I have heard different opinions on this and would like yours. I really don't want to go up in The hot ceiling to run some conduit if I don't have to.
Thanks

I was thinking make an apprentice do it, but you might not have one.

While it may worked it is ill advise simply because if anything goes wrong that will be what gets blamed, even if it is not the actual cause, and you will be "asked" to redo it.

Bit:
That was kind of a jerky reply, but I would expect no less for you any way.

That still does not answer my question, if you don't know the answer please don't post stupid replys. Running the conduit is not a issue to do..,

Last edited:
I am in Canada but I found this for NEC

NEC (2005) 800.133:
Communication wires and cables shall be separated at least 50 mm (2 in) from conductors of any electric, power, Class 1, nonpower limited fire alarm, or medium power network powered broadband communication circuits.

I always separate them to cover my ***

Last edited:
I used to work in factory on machines that had DC drive leads, 480vac motor leads, 120 vac control wire and blue hose for DH+ to a Panelmate all packed in a 6 x 6" wire duct so full you could not get the covers on them. This was a PLC-5 controlled machine and the distances were short (<100').

It worked fine, even though it was a terrible code violation. IRRC, blue hose has a jacket that is rated for 300vac. I'm not saying you should do it just because it is easiest, but I would give you a 98% chance of having no problems if you did it when the controller is a SLC or PLC-5.

I need to run a 120 control wire for a solenoid and the easiest way I see is using the blue hose conduit as it's the only thing in it.
The run is only about 50 feet and the wire I need to add to it will be going to the plc
I have heard different opinions on this and would like yours. I really don't want to go up in The hot ceiling to run some conduit if I don't have to.
Thanks

I know when we run low voltage wiring(4-20mA, 24vdc I/O, etc) mixed with line voltage wiring, to meet the NEC, we must use a class 1 power supply to feed it along with cabling with a voltage rating that meets or exceeds the voltage rating of the line voltage wiring sharing the conduit.

I haven't looked up the code requirements for communication wiring sharing with line voltage because we've always avoided mixing them and have just ran a separate conduit.

Bit:

That still does not answer my question, if you don't know the answer please don't post stupid replys. Running the conduit is not a issue to do..,

I stand by both the veracity and the levity inherent in my response. Sorry that you have no sense of humor.

How much does the new conduit cost compared to downtime and diagnostic time if you have communications issues? Will it often work? Yes. Will it often be a problem? Yes. No way to know for sure until you try it.

I recommend against running AC with analog or communications wires.

Bit:

I don't believe it was a jerky response at all. You clearly state you don't want to run the conduit yourself in the hot environment. I believe you already know the separate conduit is the best way to go, so since you don't want to do it yourself, what other choice do you have?

To guarantee you only do the job once, do it right...

Separate conduits for 120V and comms.

If it is metal conduit, you most likely don't need the distance separation - of course you will earth those conduits correctly....

If it is plastic conduit, consider it doesn't even exist

Is blue hose rated for 600VAC? Your 120vac wire will be.

Per the NEC, all wires in a raceway must have the same voltage rating. There might be other rules that apply too.

I still don't think its the greatest Idea to mix your comm's with voltage in the same conduit but check the part # of your blue hose.....if it is Belden 3072F then it is rated for 600 volts and you "could" run it in the same conduit.

BCS

Blue Hose.jpg

May as well do it the professional way and just zip tie SO cord to the conduit.

You must work on a fishing boat :D

Would probably be better to pull out the Blue Hose and zip-tie it to the conduit and pull your 120vac into the conduit, if you are going to go that route. 🍺

We don't have anything in conduit on these ships, its all on cable ladder and with 20+ years and many different hands pulling stuff in, it looks like spaghetti in a lot of places......It works though.

BCS

Last edited: