Books for panasonic plc

dear keithkyll,

there is the programming manual. you need to ask for any distributor who supply you the fp series plc unit which will come with the manual. further to that you can download for the web.

thanks and best of luck

ravi

Keithkyll I think you found the best location. I found that both the PLC instruction and the FPwin programing manuals are needed to answer most questions. BTW, are you guys familar with the FPx and GT21? I just got assigned a project using these PLCs rather then our normal IDECs. I am making progress, but struggling in some areas.

We are using FP Sigma and FPx PLC. To program them I am using FPWIN Pro software. We are also using GT30 HMI. Both, PLC and HMI are relatively easy to use. We are using these in simple applications (no networking). PLC are very capable. I am so surprized how much it can do at such small phisical size. Manuals for both are not the best, probably, because of translation from Japanise language. It took me some time to find my way around. Technical support is always very helpfull.
If you have any particular questions, I might be able to help.

PaulB.

Thanks PaulB, I agree with all you say. The FPs seem pretty straight forward. The package size/features is exactly why we are going with an FPx. My biggest challange will be getting out of the Idec mind set.

I do have a question. Do you have any ideas on how to compare the clock (DT9053) with a user input set point? I don't want to hijack this thread so you could PM me, or I can just start a new thread.
Thanks M.C

Look in the help in FPWIN Pro. The clock register that you mentioned represents Hours and Minutes. Higher 8 bits represent hours coded in BCD and Lower 8 bits represent minutes coded in BCD. Hours are changing from 0 to 23 and minutes are changing from 0 to 59. In order to compare these values with your data you would need to do some manipulation with this clock register. You would need to "extract" hours and minutes in two separate registers, convert them to integers and then compare them with user set point.

PaulB.

PaulB, The F6 (hexdec digit move) worked great. Thanks much for kicking me in that direction. You really broke things free. (at least for a few hours.) :)
Many Thanks,
M.C

I also started using the FP-X and The GT-21 a few months ago. Overall, I like the FPX (I really dig Structured Text programming and it is going to be hard to go back to ladder logic) ;)

The manuals are pretty weak in describing how to implement Functions and Function Blocks but they can be pretty powerful. I had it explained to me that they operate similar to methods in Java/C++.

I also wish that the GT-21 buttons were more customizable. I really miss that coming from the EZTouch/C-More Touch panels. I cannot believe that you are not able to make a button visible/invisible using another bit. I really miss that. By not having that ability, the number of screens went from 5 to 40 to give me all the options that the system will be programed for. I am also disappointed that the text is not scalable in a numeric display button. It sucks being limited to 1/2, 1, 2, and 4 times size.