BOOL array to USINT

pasbra

Hi,

I must move an array of 16 Bool to an array of 2 USINT. I able to do this as attach pisture, but it's not cute!

How I can do this with "COP" function or loop instruction?

I use CCW software and micro 820 PLC. I try to do this also on studio 5000, but I dont able.

Thank for your help

Pascal

Bool to USINT.PNG

How I can do this with ... loop instruction?
Code:
Datalogix[1] := 0;
Datalogix[2] := 0;
dint_mask := 1;
for index := 0 to 7
  Datalogix[1] := Datalogix[1] + (dint_mask *  ANY_TO_DINT(Output[index]));
  Datalogix[2] := Datalogix[2] + (dint_mask *  ANY_TO_DINT(Output[index+8]));
  dint_mask := dint_mask + dint_mask;
  if dint_mask = 128 then
    dint_mask := -128;
  end_if;
end_for;
Still not cute. Or ...
Code:
Datalogix[1] := 0;
Datalogix[2] := 0;
for index := 0 to 15
  subscript := 1 + ANY_TO_DINT(index.8);
  Datalogix[subscript] := Datalogix[subscript] + (dint_mask *  ANY_TO_DINT(Output[index]));
  dint_mask := dint_mask + dint_mask;
  if dint_mask = 128 then
    dint_mask := -128;
  elif dint_mask = -256 then
    dint_mask := 1;
  end_if;
end_for;
and even less cute

If i would do it with loops i would probably do it something like this (untested):
Code:
USINTArray[0] := 0;
USINTArray[1] := 0;

FOR i := 0 to 7 DO
  IF BoolArray[i] THEN
    USINTArray[0] := USINTArray[0] + SHL(1, i);
  END_IF;
END_FOR;

FOR i := 8 to 15 DO
  IF BoolArray[i] THEN
    USINTArray[1] := USINTArray[1] + SHL(1, i-8);
  END_IF;
END_FOR;

Last edited:
Whilst there is more that one to skin a cat, for 16 bools, i'd just leave it to what you have done.

KISS.

+1 for this. If the COP cannot transfer bits between B3 and N7, like it can in RSLogix 500, writing a loop is only there for people like me who (A) have an irrational aversion to brute force, and (B) have no trouble parsing non-simple code.

I need to modify, little bit your code ojz0r because SHL instruction need DINT. The code work whell. I must watch SHL instruction so mush...

The code is now:
Code:
  IF BoolArray[i] THEN // Si le bit est vrai, on procède au décalage vers la gauche
   Resultat_DINT:= SHL(1, i); // La variable Resultat doit etre de type DINT...
   USINTArray[0] := USINTArray[0] + ANY_TO_USINT(Resultat_DINT);//Resultat_USINT; //+ SHL(1, i);
  END_IF;
END_FOR;
FOR i := 8 to 15 DO // Pour la 2e variable, même principe...
  IF BoolArray[i] THEN
   Resultat_DINT:= SHL(1, i-8);
   USINTArray[1] := USINTArray[1] + ANY_TO_USINT(Resultat_DINT); //SHL(1, i-8);
  END_IF;
END_FOR;

I test other code later drbitboy.

Thank a lot for your help.

Pascal

First the 16 BOOL is that a true array of 16 or a INT data type?
Data type INT and an array of 1 BOOL
if it's a INT data type just use the COP function
Source is the INT data type
Destination is a USINT[0] data type
Lenght woud be 2
bits 0 -7 would be in USINT [0]
bits 8 - 15 would be in USINT [1]

I need to modify, little bit your code ojz0r because SHL instruction need DINT. The code work whell. I must watch SHL instruction so mush...

Good, didnt know about the dint type requirement.
However that is how i would do it if i had to use loops. I still think your original method is the clearest (kiss as mentioned) and probably less resource heavy.

Incidently my favourite language :)

I looked closer and drbitboys smart solution with one loop and that is even shorter keeping it in one loop and add 8 to index in the BoolArray:

Code:
  IF BoolArray[i] THEN // Si le bit est vrai, on procède au décalage vers la gauche
   Resultat_DINT:= SHL(1, i); // La variable Resultat doit etre de type DINT...
   USINTArray[0] := USINTArray[0] + ANY_TO_USINT(Resultat_DINT);//Resultat_USINT; //+ SHL(1, i);
  END_IF;
  IF BoolArray[i+8] THEN
   Resultat_DINT:= SHL(1, i);
   USINTArray[1] := USINTArray[1] + ANY_TO_USINT(Resultat_DINT); //SHL(1, i);
  END_IF;
END_FOR;

You are the first person I can remember who says this. I very much sympathize with this, although I choose ladder for certain applications.

Yes Pascal/Structured Text is definately a personal favorite, but since its not for everyone most of the code will still be in function block diagram for clients.

You guys are not alone. I have done a lot in Pascal dialects in the past and thus had no trouble learning ST. I use ladder for boolean code that people with more electrical than programming knowledge must read. And it makes for easy visual debugging when going online. I prefer to do things like loops, calculations and state machines in ST.

First the 16 BOOL is that a true array of 16 or a INT data type?
Data type INT and an array of 1 BOOL
if it's a INT data type just use the COP function
Source is the INT data type
Destination is a USINT[0] data type
Lenght woud be 2
bits 0 -7 would be in USINT [0]
bits 8 - 15 would be in USINT [1]

I’m onboard this.