Boot up Error messages on AB PV800 with Micro850

kaipomauli

Hello,
I am getting similar error messages as in this thread
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=110687

Except these error messages only appear twice, then disappear when I okay them. Then all my tags are working as they should between PLC and HMI.

My thinking is that the HMI is ready before the PLC and cannot read the tags in that fraction of time. Power is sent to both devices at the same time.

How can I make to not have these communication errors at each boot up? How can I make the HMI aware of the PLC being disconnected?
I am using a PV800 with a Micro850.

Thanks a bunch!

i have only used 1 panelview 800, from memory when you shut down your application in the terminal there is some settings on warnings. this can be set so no warnings occur.

PV800.PNG

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes I thought about this, but the communication issue will still be there and I do want to get notified should the PLC and HMI lose connection.
Both PLC and HMI are booted at the same time.
There is a 30seconds difference between the moment when the HMI is up and running and the PLC ethernet communication catches up (actually, the 'run' bit on the PLC is on 30seconds before the Ethernet port is working), that's what's causing the issue.
I have been unsuccessfull at making the HMI wait longer before booting up, so I guess I'll have to resort to the ugly solution of having a delay timer to postpone the HMI boot up...
I find it hard to believe that people don't have such a syncing issue for HMI and PLC boot up...Surely no ready-made application starts up with a bunch pop up error messages the user needs to clear...?

Thanks anyway

I find it surprising that the PLC takes that long to gets its port working. In Red Lion HMIs that boot in 7 seconds, when connected to certain slow booting PLCs, I have had to add a delay to the alarm for comms loss.

In one case I needed to delay a whole range of alarms so I used a background task to wait 30 seconds and then set an internal bit that was used as an enable for all the other alarms. That way, the alarms would be immediate if they occurred later after everything was up and running, but not be a nuisance during startup.

I don't use A/B HMIs, so I am not sure if they offer similar scripting and alarm conditioning features.

This might be a lame way to handle it but if you had a spare output and relay available. Let the PLC power the HMI.

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions! We hoped avoiding the whole relay output thing.
And we could not find ways to delay comms further than 20secs I think (limits in AB).

What happened was that there was a network switch we were using to connect to both the PLC and HMI while programming/making changes. That switch was the culprit of all our issues. Apparently, its a programmable switch that was probably not properly set up. It was delaying the connections at boot up. The PLC boots up much faster than the HMI and this issue is no longer.

Has anyone found a fix to this besides adding a timer? I have the same problem when power cycling a panel with a COMPACTLOGIX 5370 and a PV800 panel.