Buying 2nd hand plc for learning

Hi Ron,

I am 25, i guess not too young or too old. Actually i did many industrial projects that is related to automation but all the time i did only the software portion e.g monitoring certain DM on PLC , writing to certain dm address and PLC would add accordingly to what i have input. I have done some Scada projects too with standard scada software Citect, ifix etc. Experience wise i have around 2+ years experience in software development. During my 2+ years of work, i became interested in stuffs like PLC and electronics then i started learning PLC off the web from some tutorials and i actually did attend a 5 days course which i signed up for but didn't benefit much for me as it is like a step by step course which you just follow the book and do things step by step. Then now i think maybe i should just get a simple used PLC not too costly 1 and learn by doing some small projects with it. i am aware that even if learning on a PLC , i might not be able to handle a real PLC project so it is just pretty much for the knowledge and of course if given a chance in the future to program for a plc project i would try to put to use what i have learned. Frankly speaking, i don't really want to be just a PLC guy but i would want to be someone who can handle with PLC as well as PC software developments which i think most of the guys in the forums are. IT development is still my passion and my career path consideration. PLC - self value adding i hope.

You might have trouble programming these older 90 micros.
It has been my experience that I cannot change the logic without the PLC going into a fault. I can go on line with them and view the program without trouble but if I attempt to change the program, the PLc goes into fault mode. I can change the program with an older laptop but not with my newer Gateway even with the Socket PCMCIA-RS232 converter. I can use the Socket on the old laptop and have no trouble.

PLC Direct to the rescue

If you want to do a little fooling around at home with PLCs. Take a look at the automation direct DL05. You can get a new one for around $100 and there's a limited version of the software available for free downloading. It's only 8in and 6out but if your just dinking around at home with it, it's not too bad for starters.

Don't get me wrong... I like Automation Direct (I use them all the time at my real job) but I would go with Allen Bradley, then you are not so limited by the program size or Mitsubishi offers 1000 words

A/b

I've never know allen / bradley to give away anything... Where is this link to a trial version of their software that a previous poster mentioned?

Hi megafone
This is a link to a post telling you how to access the software that Ron refered to.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=33740

Hi jaxrpc
The above post may also interest you, and if you contact the Singapore office of Rockwell Automation they may, still have a special deal for a 10 point micrologix 1000, that I know used to be available in the Asia Pacific region that we are in.