Bypass guarding through software?

Thanks for all the replies!
The machine has several pneumatic cylinders. The customer would like to be able to put the machine in manual mode and bypass doors switches, to actuate the cylinders for adjustment purposes.

I made something similar using a Jokab (now ABB) JSHD4 three position device.
http://www.abb.com/product/seitp329...4900467c55.aspx?productLanguage=us&country=US

When the service technician take the handle the safety system will make an by-pass off the safety system and reduced the air pressure in the machine. Now he can now make the adjustment and when he place the device back the system goes back to normal safety and normal air pressure on the machine.
But he only have one hand for ajustment :confused:

It requires a rebuilding of the safety system, a risk assessment and a lot of testing.

The machine has several pneumatic cylinders. The customer would like to be able to put the machine in manual mode and bypass doors switches, to actuate the cylinders for adjustment purposes.
So, why doesn't the customer want to use door switches with bypass? They are used often for deenergizing cabinets but allow for power in maintenance mode and are automatically restored when the cabinet door is closed. Doing it with HMI and software seems less reliable and prone to being forgotten.

So, why doesn't the customer want to use door switches with bypass? They are used often for deenergizing cabinets but allow for power in maintenance mode and are automatically restored when the cabinet door is closed. Doing it with HMI and software seems less reliable and prone to being forgotten.

I agree. Of course, the machine must be properly maintained, but this sort of override shouldn't be made so simple as merely knowing a password to activate a software switch. This belongs on the hardware end of the system, with adequate interlocks to prevent the safety override from being active during normal operation.

I've run into similar situations, with certain functions of a process requiring manual adjustment, etc. and those devices happen to be under switched safety power...

Like already stated it depends on the risk assessment. But I have done things similar in the past. It depends on the rest of the equipment / process.

The easiest way to handle this is to use valves that have manual pilot valves. Maintenance person uses a screwdriver to manually fire valves.

Or, some type of 'enabling' device that ALLOWS the cylinder actuation and does NOT allow ANY other safety signals to be present. Similar to run / jog switches that we are required to use here in Canada.

Customers always ask for things that they really either know nothing about, or very little. Out of 100 requests from customers, maybe 40% are actually possible to implement.. just from my experience

use 3 position open center valves for any pinch points, so that losing power causes air supply to be blocked and both cylinder ports dumped to atmosphere. please on these systems where hands may enter. a bypassed safety, and they all get bypassed for testing at least, with two position valves means missing fingers, the engineer says "I designed it to fail open" sadly, the tech had his hand pinned by the retract stroke, hit the safety, and shut off all possibility of freeing himself as he was no helplessly out of reach of the air valve and his pocket knife. it does no good to shut down and dump the air one the meat is minced, dump each dangerous cylinder that is not held from falling due to gravity if you dump it.

3 position, 4 or 5 ports, two solenoids, you lose power, the cylinder relaxes. You want it to extend, you hold on the extend coil in your PLC code and wiring. Retract? Turn off coil A and turn on coil B.

I had to deal with one that was on a swivel turret that meant the safe direction was done with single solenoids and by reversing the air flow through the whole base....That was fine until the main direction valve hung up and the safety mat forced the operator into the drum, so I redesigned it with open center valves, so that if the mat got hit, and it was switched into that side by the turret safety contacts, that relay would drop out, therefore all air got dumped, period, no special reversing manifolds only 3 position plug in Mac Valves. After it was faulted (e-stopepd) and time to reset it, the operator would be required to push it to any of its end positions, and the program would pick up the solenoids to lock it back in position as the limits were met. This was much more gentle than firing it up with cylinders at random mid stroke positions.

You can usually perform adjustments by safely putting the pieces in position, then operating the guard safety device, dump the air, the cylinder relaxes, you get your hands in there to fine tune the reed switch location, and there is no air available on this cylinder now. Nothing is bypassed, it is relaxed and compliant. Push it back and forth and set both switches dead center. You are safe, you met the need to set up equipment without bypassing anything. Some things should not be relaxed, so having the right valves at each cylinder is better than one master dump valve.

Last edited:
the Japanese trouble shooting (Toyota) uses '5 Whys'

Taking into account all our learned friends comments on this post.
Which I support 150%

I say NO And Get rid of the Key also - Unless there is no motive force including stored Pneumatics.

1 - WHY - we need to adjust the machine
Ans 1- make external adjustment possible - not needed any more