Machine Safety and Maintenance Bypass

Careful, I am one of the old guys, the only electrician onboard this vessel (when I am here) and before this I owned and ran my own contracting buisness.

So more than likely I resemble the exact people you are cheering because they are gone. šŸŗ

Just because WE'RE old does not mean we don't care about safety. My apologies for the wording :oops:

I'm as lazy as I think I can safely be. Nothing to extremes - but as I mentioned, my minimum seems to show what I will tolerate in others.

Just because WE'RE old does not mean we don't care about safety. My apologies for the wording :oops:

I'm as lazy as I think I can safely be. Nothing to extremes - but as I mentioned, my minimum seems to show what I will tolerate in others.

I hear ya,

They say that you can be old.....or you can be dumb.

BUT YOU CAN'T BE BOTH.

BCS

Getting rid of all the bypass keyswitches. Replacing them with pluggable pendants with deadman switches, all wired into a programmable safety PLCs.

Maintenance hates this, but better to be hated by a maintenance guy (sorry, dude) than to be tried by twelve complete strangers.

Thanks for the information so far, especially when it comes to doing a Safety Assessment. Geo, you are right on with this one. Everything is pretty subjective. I have worked with poor safety designed machines (and had to make some modifications to help that after someone got hurt) and with over engineered systems that were very difficult to maintain.

I still look forward to hearing others thoughts. I enjoy these thought experiments quite a bit, and usually go through a couple a week.

Thanks for the information so far, especially when it comes to doing a Safety Assessment. Geo, you are right on with this one. Everything is pretty subjective. I have worked with poor safety designed machines (and had to make some modifications to help that after someone got hurt) and with over engineered systems that were very difficult to maintain.

I still look forward to hearing others thoughts. I enjoy these thought experiments quite a bit, and usually go through a couple a week.

Ease of maintenance is not the driving force....

Ease of maintenance is not the driving force....

You are absolutely right there, but take two machine examples here.

One uses safeties with two sets of contacts. Both are series contacts. One side is 24VDC and used to pull in a safety relay. The other side is 24VDC and goes into a PLC input (yes that is right, you would think the AC side would be used to pull in the relay and the 24VDC would go to the PLC input, but not the case). The relay cuts off power to the output modules, and sends an input to the PLC preventing the machine from resetting. The other side does the same thing.

Now take a German machine (of course designed to European specs). It uses a safety PLC and all safeties have inverters that have to come back and make a circuit board happy, which then alters a signal and gives that signal to the input of a safety PLC. Much more difficult to troubleshoot with a meter because of the signal inversion, but no real way of knowing which safety is bad in either.

In the first example, it was possible to check voltages at the control cabinet and jumper out the bad safety (big no-no). Both these machines can really hurt someone.

In the second, you needed a dummy switch (which was kept as spare parts), but it could be done, though I never brought that subject up to anyone after one of the techs was not able to jump out a safety circuit. I didn't want anyone jumping out safeties on these machines as it was incredibly dangerous in in case 1 could cause massive damage to the machine.

Rather I just showed the techs how to use a known good switch to quickly determine which switch was bad. Now, was the second, much more complex and difficult to troubleshoot method of safety really necessary if both could be bypassed quite easily?

Safety first unless it takes too long or costs too much. Then it's a really close third. I have never worked at a place that didn't follow this unwritten, and often denied rule.

Bubba.

Yeah! Safety coordinator APPROVED the jumper-bypassing of a safety floor mat.
The plant maintenance manager asked me to install the jumper.
I refused - stating that the safety coordinator would not stand for me in court.
The maintenance manager got my boss to install jumper.
YES SIR! MR. BOSS MAN! šŸ™ƒ

No one was injured in the making of this safety-violation, but ya never know!