Help with Machine Safety.

IndianaCoder

First off I know this can get very involved so I will attempt to respond with whatever questions you guys have. I know this is a very loaded question, so thank you in advance for any responses.

Disclaimer: I would never assume someone is giving 100% accurate advice, I will double check the work I just need some initial guidance.

So I have been tasked with showing a machine is safe using IFA's SISTEMA software.

This machine has 3 Light Curtains. (simplifying by assuming all same part #)
Operator Load: SL-V60H
Conveyor 1: SL-V60H
Conveyor 2: SL-V60H

All safety Relays are : 2700569
https://www.phoenixcontact.com/onli...y=usen&tab=1#Relayoutputs:enablingcurrentpath

All CR's are
700S-CFB relays.​

Operator Light Curtain
Output:
OSSD1: OP CR1
OSSD2: OP CR2​

Conveyor 1 Light Curtain
Output:
OSSD1: Conv1 CR1
OSSD2: Conv1 CR2​

Conveyor 2 Light Curtain
Output:
OSSD1: Conv2 CR1
OSSD2: Conv2 CR2​

Used to de-energize Hydraulic motor
Main Safety Relay: (2700569)
Inputs:
Power: Constant
CH1. N.C. E-Stop 1 & N.C. E-Stop 2
CH2. N.C. E-Stop 1 & N.C. E-Stop 2
Reset: N.O. Power On Push Button & N.C. MCR1 & N.C. MCR2​
Output:
MCR1 A1
MCR2 A1​

Energizes Safety Valve to allow for cylinders to actuate
Hydraulic Pump Safety Dump Valve Relay: (2700569)
Inputs:
Power : N.O. MCR1 & N.O. MCR2
CH1. N.O. OP CR1 & ( N.O. Conv1 CR1 or N.O. Conv2 CR1)
CH2. N.O. OP CR2 & ( N.O. Conv1 CR2 or N.O. Conv2 CR2)
Reset: Output of Hydraulic Safety Valve Relay​
Output:
Safety Valve Sol 1
Safety Valve Sol 2​

Verifies Spool has shifted in Safety Valve
Hydraulic Safety Valve Relay: (2700569)
Inputs:
Power : N.O. MCR1 & N.O. MCR2
CH1. N.C. switch 1 on Safety Valve
CH2. N.C. switch 2 on Safety Valve
Reset: Auto​
Output:
Goes to Reset of Hydraulic Pump Safety Dump Valve Relay​

Safety Power:
N.O. OP CR1 & N.O. OP CR2 & (( N.O. Conv1 CR1 and N.O. Conv1 CR2 ) or ( N.O. Conv2 CR1 and N.O. Conv2 CR2 ))​

So I believe I would need a safety function for:
Shutting off Hydraulic Pump
Shutting off Hydraulic Safety Valve
Conv 1 Stop condition
Conv 2 Stop condition​

Because these are so daisy chained together I'm kind of at a loss of how to do this.

I believe the safety function for the hydraulic pump would be:
Inputs:
CH1. N.C. E-Stop 1 & N.C. E-Stop 2
CH1. N.C. E-Stop 1 & N.C. E-Stop 2​
Controller:
2700569​
Output:
700S-CFB​
Has dual channel, with edm monitoring which would make it class 3 or possibly 4, is that correct?​

Last edited:
@jstolaruk,

I understand that, there is a risk assessment associated with the machine design already.
The purpose of the IFA's SISTEMA software, or defining the safety function is to prove that the machine meets or exceeds the Risk Assessment correct?

@jstolaruk,

I understand that, there is a risk assessment associated with the machine design already.
The purpose of the IFA's SISTEMA software, or defining the safety function is to prove that the machine meets or exceeds the Risk Assessment correct?

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with SISTEMA. My comment was based on your statement :
"So I believe I would need a safety function for:

Conv 1 Stop condition
Conv 2 Stop condition"

The risk assessments that are provided to me address these and every individual component in the machine.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Risk Assessment says what safety rating the Safety Function needs to achieve, however does not prove that what was implemented meets or exceeds the Safety Function.

So the Risk Assessment says we need to reach PLd Category 3 on the Hydraulic Safety Valve. Then to prove I have achieved Pld Cat 3 or greater I need to show the safety function for that.

Which would be the Safety Relay for the Hydraulic Safety Valve.
To reach PLd Cat 3 there needs to be some sort of EDM diagnostics, which that Safety relay does not directly have, however the Control Relays the CH.1 and CH.2 go through are powered off of Safety Relays that do have EDM.

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with SISTEMA. My comment was based on your statement :
"So I believe I would need a safety function for:

Conv 1 Stop condition
Conv 2 Stop condition"

The risk assessments that are provided to me address these and every individual component in the machine.

Note shutting stuff off doesn't always stop them.