C-More HMI Software

Greg Dake

Hello!

Is there a way to use the concept of parameters in C-More HMI software? For example, want to have one template pop up display and pass parameters in and out of it. So, as an example a simple hand/off/auto control and status indicators for a valve. Instead of having a separate screen for each valve, just have one screen and pass in different parameters based on which valve is selected. (Sort of like parameter list function in FTView Studio)

I see where you can designate a screen as a template, which you can use as a common background for example for multiple screens, however you cannot pass parameters in and out. I did call Automation Direct support and they indicated there was not a way to do it, however I felt like the support person I talked to wasn't fully understanding what I was asking. It can't be the case if you have an HMI overview screen with say, 50 valves, you would need a separate screen for each valve, but I don't see a way around it.

This is for a home automation project, would appreciate any insight!

TIA,

Greg

I think you're out of luck on using parameters with C-More. I spent a few months using them and greatly missed that feature. There's also no global search and replace feature, such as FTView Studio's tag substitution. It's a pain when you're on a site with at least a dozen of the same piece of equipment and every one of 25+ tags per unit has to be edited by hand. Eventually, I found enough missing features to call them "C-More, Do-Less."

FWIW, Red Lion Crimson 3.0 lacks both of these features as well.

Mike

What I would do is on the parameters screen have a Valve # tag that the operator can select or change which valve he wants. If only a few valves icons to click on for each, if a lot a numeric entry.

All the other tags make generic tags for the PLC.

Then in the PLC have it change the parameters and controls of the valve number selected.

Take a look at the task manager actions.
You could have one valve template displaying values from a set of tags, call them "DisplayTag1, DisplayTag2, etc. The trigger event can be changing the valve number and the actions can be tag copies from Valve1Tag1 to DisplayTag1, Valve1Tag1 to DisplayTag2, etc. For actions you will probably need to create buttons with visibility based on which valve is selected. Not as simple as passing parameters but potentially less work than creating a separate screen for each valve.
C-More Do-Less has often been my reaction to the product line. So many issues like this could be resolved if they would just add scripting capabilities.

What I did on a similar system was have an array of bits so pressing two keys to index and display an arrow so for example the forward key is pressed, it increments to a bit in the array (Turn it on) so the arrow at each valve is enabled visible, use bit in each valve control to select the status of the valve or motor etc. Effectively you have a pointer to the bit in the array and the fwd/back keys turn the bit on or off.
The other keys like auto/manual energise etc. are pointed to in the same manner.
all you need to do is ensure the pointer does not go back too far or to far forward so example is
Screen selected, point to first bit in the array.
Pressing the fwd key increments the pointer to the next bit & so on.
Pressing the back Key decrements the pointer. so the pointer is say 0-15 and the pointer points indirectly to bits 0-15 how you do this is up to you it is possible to use a bit shift left/right so that only one bit can be on at any time this is used for two purposes 1, to make visible the arrow for the associated valve and to use in the plc logic to control the valve auto manual and force logic.

Incorporate the bit in each valve control
like:
AND Bit 0 AND V001 Auto/Man bit = valve Man
AND Bit 0 AND V001 Force = Valve 1 Force
This will unfortunately will only allow the control of one valve as if the pointer is shifted then the bits will drop off, you could indirectly point to the control bits based on the pointer this way you can put a valve in manual from auto and if you increment the pointer that one stays in the mode you forced it too, To reset everything back to auto on leaving the page pulse all the bits to Auto.
Sounds a bit complicated but it is quite simple logic wise.