Can I use Cat-5 for DH-485 cable?

brstilson

Here's the application:

I'm have Panelview 600 with two 485 ports I'm moving. On the Panelview there's a big connector like what's on the PIC box, and an RJ-45 connector. I'm running a cable from the big connector to the port on a SLC 5/03, but I think I'm going to need to lengthen the cable coming from the RJ-45 connector, which goes to a programming port on the side of the main panel (that's not moving). Can I use Cat-5 cable for this?

I'd recommend a twinaxial cable with a characteristic impedence of 120 ohms, but CAT5 cable will most likely work -- especially if you aren't pushing the distance and/or baud rate limits.

I'd recommend a twinaxial cable with a characteristic impedence of 120 ohms, but CAT5 cable will most likely work -- especially if you aren't pushing the distance and/or baud rate limits.

I'm not. We're talking a 20 foot run at the most, that will only be used on an extremely rare occassion (uploading/downloading/getting online)

I've done it with the UIC, but only with a short 1 meter cable. Make sure the cable is not a cross-over. Don't use a pre-made CAT5 enet patch cable. These have crossed over pairs in them. If you are making up your own then it will probably work.

Edit to add: As a matter of practice, where ever I have a DH485 port using an RJ45 connector I put a big sticker next to the port that identifies the port and includes a do not plug in Ethernet warning. If someone comes along and plugs their laptop ethernet port into the DH485 port the laptop Ethernet port will loose and will be permanently damaged.

Last edited:
I read this carefully and I agree that CAT5 twisted-pair cable is OK for this purpose as long as it's connected 1:1 and you don't plug anything other than a 1747-PIC or 1747-UIC into it.

This is a good time to add a label indicating that the plug is not Ethernet !

Remember that the "Peripheral" port on a DH485 device like a PanelView or a 1747-AIC has +24V DC on Pin 3... more than a few Ethernet ports have been smoked when people plugged into it with the wrong device.