Card Reader for RSLogix 5000

FNC

I have tried using a card reader from RF Ideas for use with a L33ER PLC.

It is not working and RF Ideas believes there is a conflict with the EDS file and version 20 (which is the only one that can be used with the L33ER).

Is there any other company with card readers that can be used with RSLogix 5000?

Ip67

Yeah, I am using one of those, IP67.

RF Ideas says they have a case open with Rockwell over issues with the EDS file. It always says faulted in RSLogix 5000. RF Ideas acknowledges that this is a problem with the EDS.

I have looked for other card readers but cannot find any others that work with RS Logix 5000.

I am not sure how long I can wait for RF Ideas to find a fix for this.

I would definitely go with the Generic EtherNet/IP Module object.

I've spent some time trying to get third-party EDS-based Module Profiles working but if I can't get in touch with the guys who actually wrote the firmware, I'm not going to waste my time.

generic ethernet module

I used a generic ethernet module which is what they have in their sample program but it shows the device faulted. RF Ideas confirmed the problem.

Is there another company's card reader that anyone has used successfully with RS Logix 5000?

If you're using the Generic EtherNet/IP Module object, the EDS file does not affect it, so you can pursue solving the connection problem separately.

What's the error code ? Is it a size mismatch, or a state conflict, or something else ? It will show up on the Connection tab.

error

The status is "Faulted".

The error code is:

(Code 16#0127) Connection Request Error: Invalid output size"

I changed the output size to 2 as RF Ideas requested but this made no difference as I got the same status and error code.

Which data type did you select when you created the Generic EtherNet/IP Module ?

The instructions I read for the pcProx tell you to select a data type of SINT, which is unusual. DINT datatype is the default.

You want the Data Format to read "Data - SINT". It is not changeable after you've created the object, so you have to delete and re-recreate it.

Sint

Yes I have it set to SINT.

I used the same thing as in the sample project.

Thanks for the info. It was worth a try.

To poke at it any further I'd have to send a CIP Generic Message to the prox device querying what Size it thinks the Assembly Objects are.

Or you can get an Ethernet tap or mirrored Ethernet switch port, and run Wireshark to look at the connection requests and responses.

With devices that also have an internal configuration that sets up their interface with EtherNet/IP, obviously you have to get that set up as well.