Card Reader with Automation Direct EA9 Screen

ballack

Hey guys, I am currently working on a project involving an AD EA9-T6CL screen and a generic magnetic card reader.

The purpose of the card reader is to automatically login the username when the card is swiped. On the AD brochure I read that you can use the USB port on the screen to connect it to a card reader, which is what I got, however I have no idea on how to work this on the software, how do I catch whatever data the card reader is sending me?

I am using C-more software to build the screen application.

One question though, what card reader have you used before, I'm using a MagTek IM1-E44781 and I can't seem to get anything when I swipe the card.

How is the user list going to be managed? I've found that with card swipe systems if they're managed in a PLC then it gets really annoying having to change the program every time someone gets hired/fired/promoted/demoted/etc. I much prefer tying it in with an existing security system that is completely managed by other people. When I did it, I used our existing door security panel and ran the whole thing through there. There were relay outputs designed for lock solenoids but I ran it to the PLC instead. If the PLC saw the input, it gave access to the restricted screen. As far as security was concerned, the HMI was just another "door" and they could manage which employees had access and could also access logs of who accessed it and when. Much easier and much more elegant solution all the way around. Much less work for me, and hardly any more work for the security department (who set up and manage employee access throughout the facility anyway). I've also seen user level access being used with Kepware messaging and plant management software. In any case, these things tend to require an interface between the PLC and some kind of plant-wide supervisory system that is managed by a non-technical person.

I don't know what your situation is. For all I know this could be something really small and simple. But I chimed in because combining RFID cards and PLCs can quickly become far more complicated than you think it will be.

Last edited: