CCW - Comment Individual Bits of DINT?

PLCs_are_fun

I am passing DINTs between a Micro800 and CompactLogix - each bit in the DINT has its own unique meaning.

On the Studio5000 side I can just write the meaning of a given bit in the "Description" field to provide a human-readable "comment" anywhere the bit is referenced.

On the CCW side, I can comment the DINT but not the individual bits in the DINT.

Am I missing something? How do you guys handle this? Any way other than to manually alias the individual bits of the DINT to new BOOL tags?

Thanks!

You could try an overlay on the Logix side that provides named BOOLs corresponding to the bits of a DINT provided by CCW.

I’m not aware if CCW provides an overlay mechanism of its own.

One way to do it is to create aliases for the bits and comment the aliases. Another way is to copy to an array of BOOLS, which lets you comment each element in the array.

Regardless of how you do it, I would include the complete mapping in a rung comment on both programs, so you or the next person don't need to keep searching to find what all the mapping is - Saves some reverse engineering later on.