Change IP address of EN2TR in running program - EN2TR module inhibited

jt__

How do I change the IP address of a EN2TR module in a remote rack in a running PLC in Studio5000? When viewing the module properties while online the option to change the IP addresses is greyed out. The new EN2TR module is inhibited in the program as the comms link to the remote rack is not in operation yet. Is it only possible to change the IP address in the program with a download? I need to change the IP address in the program from a private network to a 10.x.x.x IP address.

2021-10-16 10_10_22-Window.png

Last edited:
It can be performed programmatically by explicitly messaging the 0xF5 TCPIP object instance representing the interface. Will be found in instance 1.

However … if the module’s IP is set by the wheel switches, you’ll need to physically reset them.

It can be performed programmatically by explicitly messaging the 0xF5 TCPIP object instance representing the interface. Will be found in instance 1.

However … if the module’s IP is set by the wheel switches, you’ll need to physically reset them.

Thanks Jeremy. I have configured the ethernet modules IP address with a USB cable and RSlinx already, its just the IP addresses in my Studio5000 program are not set to the correct ones. Can I change the IP address in the program with a message instruction if the module is inhibited?

As long as it is reachable (powered) and not owned by another module, yes.

An inhibited connection just means Class 1 (cyclic) data transfers aren’t taking place.

If this is useful advice, I practice regular firmware updates when given the downtime.

Last edited:
When looking at rockwell KB QA59845 it says its not possible to change the ethernet address in a running program without a download.

But you are saying its possible with a message instruction? Would you be able to offer some more details on how I would do this?

Last edited:
I think I see the mis-communication here.

The answers you are getting refer to changing the IP address in the remote 1756-EN2T itself. That can be done with a message to the TCP/IP Object, or simply by right-clicking in RSLinx Classic, or with rotary switches on some devices that are using the default 192.168.1.x subnet.

What you are asking is how to change the IP Address configured in the I/O Tree object in your Studio 5000 program that is running on the controller right now.

I don't think you can do that. There are a lot of things that can be edited online, but the address of a network adapter in the I/O tree is a fundamental part of the Module-created tags that are associated with it and gets done during the compiling step for those objects.

But because it's a 1756-EN2T, you should be able to create a new I/O module connection object with the correct 10.x.y.z subnet address, and re-create all the I/O connections in that chassis.

The problem is likely that Studio 5000 will see that your _Local bridge module is on the 192.168.1.x subnet, and won't allow you to create an adapter on a different subnet. So you might have to delete the I/O tree entries all the way back to the root bridge, then start over.

I'm not precisely sure when the ability to add new 1756 EtherNet/IP bridge modules as I/O adapters while online was added to Studio 5000, but it was probably 5 or more years ago.

I ended up having to remove all tags and logic that were associated with the 2 racks I had the wrong IP's for, deleted them from my I/O tree and built up the new racks again with the correct IP addresses.

I ended up having to remove all tags and logic that were associated with the 2 racks I had the wrong IP's for, deleted them from my I/O tree and built up the new racks again with the correct IP addresses.

You only needed to change the module's properties in the I/O tree.