Red Lion HMI, tag's modbus register address - can change during runtime?

DRDan

I have a Red Lion G09 scanning 8 Invertek P2 VFDs via modbus RTU - I've setup necessary comms and tags and all works well.

I have a 'Settings' page in the HMI that gives a brief overview of the VFDs (Faults, running, STO, digital IO, DC bus etc.) and would like to add 2 tags each that can check and change any available setting in the VFDs - there are about 150 on this one.

Each VFD setting has it's own modbus register (integer from 101 to 941). I'd like to have one tag be the register address of interest, and another to display (and change) the setting value. Of course this would have to be able to be changed by the user during runtime.

I can't see a way to change the modbus address of a tag during runtime - any ideas on how to do this would be much appreciated. Thanks

So you want to minimise the number of variables displayed on the HMI, to make it easier to change a value.?
ie:
Enter 104 in variable display ‘A’ & the value to edit in variable ‘B’ ?

As always, there are many ways to solve this. My approach would be an array/UDT that can be indexed into.
Where you will need to get creative is how to make it what you want.
I don’t have crimson in front of me right now, but can look tomorrow.

I’m sure OkiePC will have a solution ☃️

I don't think you can alter Tags, but you can alter what Tag a value on screen displays. As lostcontrol mentions there are various ways to do this, and some of it depends on what you have called the Tags. The picture below shows you can choose the Data Source for a displayed value. I would use Complex and the scripting language to assemble a String variable with the name of the Tag I wanted to display.

Data Source.JPG

Struck me this morning that you will also have to allow for different data types and data lengths in the Modbus data. So unless all values are 16 bit integers you won't be able to do it with just one entry box. You would need a few entry boxes, though you could set show/visible to disabled for the ones you don't need at the time. Things are getting more complicated. You will have to decide if your 'vision' of how the system should work justifies the time and effort needed to accomplish it, or if a simpler version would be acceptable.