Changing controller type causes 1800 errors

shauntieu

I have a half-prewritten PLC program supplied by a manufacturer that used real hardware.

I want to download to softlogix virtual chassis to finish the program.

When I change the controller type from 1756-L63 to softlogix, I get 1824 errors when verifying/downloading

is there a proper way to modify the project.L5X or another way to achieve my goal?

Thanks for reading & your time.

Take care

Welcome to the Forum !

Post some examples of the error messages; that will help a lot. I assume that they're related to the I/O addresses that are used directly in the program.

I don't see the utility of translating to a SoftLogix unless you're going to eventually run in a SoftLogix; write the program for the platform you'll be running it in.

If you really need to use SoftLogix or RSEmulate 5000 to test logic, you're going to have to separate out your I/O from the ordinary logic using "buffering" logic or Aliases.

So that's the first question: Will your machine run on a ControlLogix 1756-Lxx controller, or on a SoftLogix 1789-Lxx controller ?

Yes exactly. its all relating to IO.

there is no answer to your question because the supplier used on controllogix and we just need to test it and simulate it, then it will use a real controller in the field. what controller? i have no idea.

Thanks for explaining the origin and plans for the system.

SoftLogix 5800 can run I/O connections to remote devices, so the errors probably come from I/O connections that are local to the chassis with the CPU, or from an I/O module that's not supported by SoftLogix 5800.

For those, my recommendation is to use an architecture that provides ordinary Controller-scope Tags with useful names that are the same datatype as the eventual I/O channels they will represent.

In SoftLogix, use them natively and simulate the values just by poking data into them from your emulation or HMI software.

When you're ready to use real I/O, re-configure the tags as Aliases to the actual I/O channel tags.

If you can give some examples of your configuration, Forum members can give you some examples of how this is done.