Chat Room

dawkirst

Does this site have a chat room? I would really like it if we can talk in real time.

If it does not have one, I could regester one for us to use, free of charge.

What's your thoughts on this?

I think one of the most valuable things about forums such is this is that the answers provided are concise and generally fairly well written (at least when the question allows for it) and can stand the test of time. A few times I've searched for a problem I've had and found a good answer to my question without having to post a new thread, and this database of quality Q&A is what makes this site so useful to me. IMO a real time chat room does not encourage either well reasoned and summarized answers and does not tend to encourage people to ask well-details questions either.

jvdcande, Binaural, thanks for your input.

True, I get what you're saying.

But it is also possible that, for newbs like me, a question can exist that is a notch too complex to comfortably ask in a thread.

For example, in my potential first post I wanted to post on this Q&A forum, I typed a long, long post where I explained every detail of my problem. This was due to the fact that I didn't even have a clue about the simple wiring concepts of my application (simply because I have no kind of formal education in electricity-related applications.) After I've written it, I decided that it was actually unfit to post on a website such as plctalk.net, where most of the members are PLC professionals.

A chat room would've solved it much faster. But at this moment, I'll make my way on the forum boards.

Thanks ahead! :)

DAWKIRST.

The chat room sounds good - but doesnt work.

Some people log on for a while and then it quickly dies.

THe world time differences mean that the people that will log on are spread even thinner throughout 24 hours.

Posting in the forum means everyone gets a chance to see the question and then respond

dawkirst said:
jvdcande, Binaural, thanks for your input.

True, I get what you're saying.

But it is also possible that, for newbs like me, a question can exist that is a notch too complex to comfortably ask in a thread.

For example, in my potential first post I wanted to post on this Q&A forum, I typed a long, long post where I explained every detail of my problem. This was due to the fact that I didn't even have a clue about the simple wiring concepts of my application (simply because I have no kind of formal education in electricity-related applications.) After I've written it, I decided that it was actually unfit to post on a website such as plctalk.net, where most of the members are PLC professionals.

A chat room would've solved it much faster. But at this moment, I'll make my way on the forum boards.

Thanks ahead! :)

But that's exactly the kind of post people read and want to help with. A pattern I see again and again is the more detailed the question, the more and better the answers. People here are generally very nice to newbies, provided they make an effort to search before posting and are not obviously asking for answers to their homework questions :)

Goody, I can imagine that the world time difference is a problem and that the forum remedies the propblem.

Binaural, point taken. Glad to hear it.

Last edited: