Cheap Data Collection

Tim Ganz

I am looking for a cheap and easy way to collect and display data rom a contrologix plc.

I can maybe spend like $1500.00 max. This is mostly for proof of concept and to show value. What would be the best way to go about this with a very limited budget? The plc already has a ethernet connetion to computer in our maintenance shop.

The more you can post about your needs, the better the recommendations will get.

How would you like to display this data; live onscreen values ? Trend and graph displays ? A spreadsheet ?

How many data points do you need to log, and how frequently ?

What format do you want the data in ? Various dataloggers and historians use proprietary databases, or text files like CSV, or more open database formats like DBF or SQL.

PeakHMI might do what you need.... Mark pops in to recommend it, without comment or elaboration, every time somebody asks a general HMI question. It's a safe and easy marketing technique because PeakHMI has a wide feature set and low price.

I am personally a big fan of Inductive Automation Ignition, but the pricing will eventually be higher than your introductory budget. But if you need platform-independent, SQL-centric data storage with powerful trending and history and alarming, it's a very good product.

Ken

We have all Rockwell stuff and were looking at Rockwell Historian and Vantage Poinr EMI long term but this is just a dog and pony show for the big wigs for proof of concept.

Will log temps and speed mostly. Temps every 5 min maybe and speeds every minute maybe and show total products per shift, scrap and those type things. For this holding 2-3 weeks of data would be enough for what we are trying to do at this point.

You could do your data-logging in the controller itself using a CompactFlash card if it needs to be a permanent data-set, or just into UDTs or arrays if rolling data is all you need.

A simple Excel app could display any of the data stored in the controller.

In many cases, collecting the data in the controller is preferable to another PC doing it, you are not reliant on any networks, cable runs, connections, switch configuration, disruption of power in remote locations etc. The controller can plod on recording what you want, and you can retrieve that data at your leisure.

I think the deciding factor is if your 'proof of concept' wants to just grab raw data, or if you want to show management a look at the final results.

An inexpensive HMI with basic data logging can run under $1000 easily; both the Red Lion and Peak HMI suggestions are good ones.

If this were my system, I would probably select Ignition, because it is a very attractive option to Historian and VantagePoint when you are talking large-scale, web-accessed history, visualization, and OEE. Inductive Automation's background is in heavy-duty historian and OEE analysis software; the pretty graphics and wide-open SQL engine are bonuses.

I have installed several major-vendor Historians and took several days to get them running. Ignition can be running in half and hour.

I don't mean to sound like an Ignition fanboy here, or knock the RA historian I haven't used in a few years (I used the old one, not the OSI based one). But if you are building an OEE analysis and system history software project, you owe it to yourself to evaluate Ignition.

Tim,

How many tags are you looking to monitor?

I ask, because you can get a 128 tag count version of Infilink for under $1300.00 (The unlimited version is less than $1900.00 when purchasing through ESI)

http://www.eternity-sales.com/KEP/infilink.htm

You can download the latest version, install it and begin developing your application. The free version is limited to a 1 hour run time. Once you have paid for your license, you will unlock the time restriction. The download includes all development software.

So, you can not only kick the tires before you buy the car, but you can take the car for a test drive as well.

Disclosure - Eternity Sales distributes this and other products for Kessler Ellis.