heat / data collection ethernet based on the cheap?

g.robert

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys... Been awhile since I have been here and this is not directly PLC rated BUT I am hoping someone has done what I am trying to do so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Very simply I am looking for a cheap (relative) hardware to install on a machine (possibly multiple machines) that will take a class J TC input and a 0-10 VDC PSI transducer. I need it to take a reading of each at an adjustable timing (say every 1-10 minutes) and store that data. I need to be able to collect that data on an as needed basis and prefer to do it via wired or wireless ethernet. I am not sure how long the device would need to collect data before overwriting. I guess that would be based on what's available. I tried Omega as my 1st stop and looked at the OM-SQ2010 at $1540 +software but hope to find a better less expensive fit. A wireless unit we could poll for collected date by IP address seems ideal. Any thoughts?

Hello guys... Been awhile since I have been here and this is not directly PLC rated BUT I am hoping someone has done what I am trying to do so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Very simply I am looking for a cheap (relative) hardware to install on a machine (possibly multiple machines) that will take a class J TC input and a 0-10 VDC PSI transducer. I need it to take a reading of each at an adjustable timing (say every 1-10 minutes) and store that data. I need to be able to collect that data on an as needed basis and prefer to do it via wired or wireless ethernet. I am not sure how long the device would need to collect data before overwriting. I guess that would be based on what's available. I tried Omega as my 1st stop and looked at the OM-SQ2010 at $1540 +software but hope to find a better less expensive fit. A wireless unit we could poll for collected date by IP address seems ideal. Any thoughts?
Look at the Horner XLe units.
Omega rebadges the same units.
Analogue I/O plus micro memory storage.

A Micrologix 1100 with IO will be half that.

If the machine has an Ethernet/IP capable machine then using some Beckhoff buss terminals will be really cheap.

The Horner looks good and with a $225 price tag, about 1/2 the cost of a micro 1100. BUT I was not looking to program a PLC to do this. I was hoping to find a "black box" that takes 1 TC input and 1 0-10VDC and time stamps the scaled values (0-450 deg & 0-200PSI) and stores as many as the on-board memory will allow. Then have managment be able to poll that particulr device via IP address and collect data by date and or time of day on a as needed basis. Maybe it would be two seperate data collection devices, one for temperature and one for PSI worst case scenario. Anyone done something like this before?:confused:

Alaric there would be all types of machines with varying types of control. Hoping to find a canned solution that could be made to work at any machine.

I've considered these before, and others like it, but have never put one in production:

http://www.microdaq.com/occ/u30/index.php
http://www.dataq.com/data-logger/data-logger.html

Check your pricing for the Horner XLe. I see $295 for NO onboard IO... NO ethernet ($195)... and even if you do get the cheapest unit with IO, you might need a TC signal conditioner (maybe another $100+, the ones I like from Wago are more like $300).

The difficult part of your requirement is the onboard storage. Lot's of IO out there, and much of it cheap. But not with onboard storage, and not with network access. So what is your budget, anyway? Redlion does what you ask,the only issue really is cost and if you can afford the solution.

Last edited:
Measurement Computing has stand alone battery powered temperature and voltage loggers. Its not ethernet, but you just plug it into a USB port to download. Some models have a built in TC, some use external TC. $172 will get you a temperature and a voltage or current logger, each stores 32,000 points at an adjustable time interval.

http://www.mccdaq.com/usb-data-acquisition/USB-500-Series.aspx

Robert: cost wise I would like to offer an option for less than $1K (hardware only) per machine to our customer. I have access to several units with USB or SD access which require the plant to walk to that machine and get the data. Maybe I am asking for this in the wrong way. I don't see any reason the data has to be stored locally. If we can connect the devices to the existing network the data could be written to a designated drive within the network. This way we only need local collection not storage. Does this increase readily available options?

i do like wago, and you can change your 0-10 volt signal to read in by a TC card just by adding some resistors. this way one card isenough.
however any datalogger works fine. like the ones we put in boxes of bananas.
look for microlog etc.