Choosing Allen Bradley PLC

Nukosan

Hello, I'm quite new in this board so I'd like to say Hi to everyone 🍻. My first question will be an easy one - for a starter - I need to automate a process at my plant - I need 2AI, 2AQ, 6DI, 2DQ - should AB1760-L12BWB be sufficient for my needs? beyond that PLC and the programming software should I need something more (probably communication cable of some sort)? I'm more use to the Siemens PLC, but my budget is quite limited, anybody has any other suggestions than AB(around 240pounds) or LOGO(around 300pounds) that would oscillate in the borders of 300 pounds?

AB1760-L12BWB is a Pico controller.

I think that maybe a Siemens S7-1200 could fit inside 300 pounds. And that would be a "real" PLC with online programming, ethernet port etc.

6ES7212-1AD30-0XB0 is the CPU at approx 150 GBP. It has 2 integral 0-10V analog inputs and 8 24V inputs and 6 24V outputs.

6ES7234-4HE30-0XB0 is an analog input/output module at approx 200 GBP. It has 4 analog inputs and 2 analog outputs at 0-10V or 0-20mA.

As far as I can see, it would have to be at least the above combination, even if you would then have more analog i/o than you really need.

thx, s7-1200 isn't something that I'd consider (bad experience + poor quality product)... but thx :) unitronics seems to be ok, is there any good (price) distributor in UK?

cheers

Not sure about the OP but IMO every siemens product i have dealt with has been a total PITA. Programming software sucks,parts availibility is poor, Customer service is pretty does not exist at least not in a positive form anyway.

Across the pond may be different but for me in the u.s. siemens blows.

Hello, I'm quite new in this board so I'd like to say Hi to everyone 🍻. My first question will be an easy one - for a starter - I need to automate a process at my plant - I need 2AI, 2AQ, 6DI, 2DQ - should AB1760-L12BWB be sufficient for my needs? beyond that PLC and the programming software should I need something more (probably communication cable of some sort)? I'm more use to the Siemens PLC, but my budget is quite limited, anybody has any other suggestions than AB(around 240pounds) or LOGO(around 300pounds) that would oscillate in the borders of 300 pounds?
Horner makes a combo, HMI/PLc.
LCD display, 10 soft buttons , etc,
built in analog and digital I/O, high speed counter, PWM outputs.
Software is free.
You can use ladder or IEC style.
In Europe they are based in Germany.
Pricing is awesome in the US.
Here's a link for the US site http://www.heapg.com
I'm sure there's a link somewhere there for the European site.

Not sure about the OP but IMO every siemens product i have dealt with has been a total PITA. Programming software sucks,parts availibility is poor, Customer service is pretty does not exist at least not in a positive form anyway.

Across the pond may be different but for me in the u.s. siemens blows.
It depends who you're dealing with.
I'm based in Chicago and the local distibutor, Steiner Electric has a phenomenal support crew.
Plus, I don't need to have a "tech connect" BS agreement to get support.
I only pay for the annual SUS service of the software and I'm good to go.

Here is the information that I was able to get from the Unitronics website:

UK.jpg

United Kingdom

Local UK distributors: contact Unitronics Ltd
Phone: +972 3 9778895 / 6
Fax: +972 3 9778877
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.unitronics.com/

One of the things that I do not like about these units is the fact that they do not support online editing, but you will get an operator interface that is integral with the PLC.

Regards

Those two sound like the same thing to me $$.

Those two sound like the same thing to me $$.
Not exactly.
I chose to get the SUS.
I was getting support locally without the SUS.
Thats what I meant. I did not need "proof" of SUS to get support. Even when needed to talk directly to Siemens tech support over the phone I was never questioned about having an SUS prior to getting support.
AB has their knowledge base "locked" now a days unless you have a tech connect contract.

It depends who you're dealing with.
I'm based in Chicago and the local distibutor, Steiner Electric has a phenomenal support crew.

I am glad that you have a better experience with siemens than i have had. I am in georgia and the service here really sucks and that's saying it nicely.

I have a support contract that is a little over 20K per year and when i call tech support i have to leave a message with the ticket creation people then wait on a tech to cal me back. Many times a tech that has no experience with the hardware in question calls me back only to say that it is beyond him and that he will get me to someone who can help. In the meantime we are bleeding cash.

This has happen to me 3 or 4 times on major issues. They even have license support people on a M-F 8 - 5 Schedule. need a license reset on the weekend? Guess what? your screwed.

It costs more but i will take ab any day. I can always get someone on the phone without leaving a message. There is always someone to help with something as simple as a license.

I am glad that you have a better experience with siemens than i have had. I am in georgia and the service here really sucks and that's saying it nicely.

I have a support contract that is a little over 20K per year and when i call tech support i have to leave a message with the ticket creation people then wait on a tech to cal me back. Many times a tech that has no experience with the hardware in question calls me back only to say that it is beyond him and that he will get me to someone who can help. In the meantime we are bleeding cash.

This has happen to me 3 or 4 times on major issues. They even have license support people on a M-F 8 - 5 Schedule. need a license reset on the weekend? Guess what? your screwed.

It costs more but i will take ab any day. I can always get someone on the phone without leaving a message. There is always someone to help with something as simple as a license.
I only pay less than 1K for step7 Pro and WinCC.
I don't do much of simotion, integrated safety and such to justify the cost.

I know others who have good experience with the support people even without a "tech connect" scheme.
I work a lot with AB as well.
If it is speced no problem. If I'm quoting the job and have to keep the cost down AB isn't even considered as an option.
Besides, the "tech connect" thing is an extortion. (for me anyways especially when it comes down to the knowledge base. I find it offensive that in order to troubleshoot their hardware, without having to call in and speak with anyone, on my own time, I have to have a "tech connect" contract).
I like the software and have used it a lot and have had no issues, no bashing here!

I just refuse to pay for it.
PS: I just add to the quote if the customer specs latest software rev and such and get it when I have to.

Thx for all the replies :geek: , seems that some of U guys went a bit o_O 🤷 , that's not a prob since I have my answer:), so now I'll join the offtop crew :D. I've worked in Austria and I've worked with Siemens S7-200 and S7-1200 series so I feel quite capable of judging them - so the 200 series are one of the best things there is in terms of PLC and automation (y) , they are almost indestructible and the programming software is quite user friendly, donno how is it in us but in EU the customer support is perfect :), so that's the S7 200 ( which has a beautiful Made In Germany sign on it) but the s7-1200 series... that's another story. So the sign was a bit altered (just one word was changed Germany -> China) and the difference is quite significant. The data logging function is virtually non existent (had to use the libnodave library to get some effects and still it was crashing quite often, at the beginning), pointers and arrays were implemented after some time, and still not that useful. it has a lot of inputs (including Analogue - but only 0-10V, so not perfect) and the most stupidest thing - the Chinese forgot to mount the switch (RUN/TERM/STOP) so turning the bastar* into run/stop requires a computer with at least 1Gb of memory not far from the workplace. there are some useful things bout it, and if somebody has a specific need it's not that bad but for me I'm quite disappointed and don't want to use them anymore.

Cheers