Choosing Allen Bradley PLC

Actually I was quite surprised at the beginning, Jerrys were suppose to keep the high standard... but it seems that nowadays one can't count even on Germans...

BTW. anybody knows if I need anything else if I'd use the JZ10-11-UA24, is there a need of any kind of a magic cable or software?

Last edited:
The programming cable and software ships with every processor, but I would recommend installing the software and then upgrading it to the latest version via the Internet.

Regards

Last edited:
I'd be very supprised if its made in China, although I have heard of cheap unofficial 'copies' of a few major brands being made in China.

Donno, don't care much either... I worked with S7-1212C AC/DC/RLY and there was a big proud sign: "Made in China".

Btw. Can we skip the offtop? Was fun but doesn't have much to do with the subject...

On Topic

Saw that you picked the Jazz series from Unitronics. We use them alot. Our unit of choice is the JZ10-11-R31. We have put a little over 2 dozen in the field in the last 12 months with very favorable results. That being said one thing you have know is that the Jazz series does NOT come with a programing cable/module that part is JZ-PRG.

Also the Jaz is non-expandable so what you get is what is on the brick.

If you want CYA then you may want to step up to either the M91 series or the Vision series as these are all expandable.

Also Untronics are HMI/PLC's. This is a double edged sword. Your processor is shared between the HMI and PLC. We have never had an issue with this but be aware. The graphics you program do have a direct effect on scan time.

Good side to this is that the HMI software is bundled with the ladder logic. Also once you get past the learning curve the way Unitronics handles the HMI and Logic control is quite clever in my opinion.

Software is a free download which is nice. Support is a bit schechy in my opinion but I really did not need much so we rolled with it anyway.

Bottom line: On simple, small I/O count jobs they are really hard to beat on the price. Software is a bit quirky but not more so than several others I have seen. It is not at the level of MIcroWin but is not far behind either. In fact I found alot of simalarties between the 2. I also found the Help menu with the Jaz and Vision software to be pretty through.

I would suggest you contact your local Unitronics rep for a complete price list. This will help greatly with picking what you want.

That being said one thing you have know is that the Jazz series does NOT come with a programing cable/module that part is JZ-PRG.

I use the 350 and 570 model PLC/OIT units and they do ship with a programming cable and the software... at least the last five that we purchased did. Sorry if I misled you, I assumed that the Jazz shipped with the programming cable as well.

Regards

No problem:), I think that I'll stick to the Jazz one, still got to check what my budget will say bout that - the place that I work in... :), good it's just a project for a pal of mine :p

Cheers and thank you guys for all the help.

I use the 350 and 570 model PLC/OIT units and they do ship with a programming cable and the software... at least the last five that we purchased did. Sorry if I misled you, I assumed that the Jazz shipped with the programming cable as well.

Regards

No Problem. Little off topic but how do you like the Vision series. We are just starting to use them but we like them so far.

S7-1200 made in China

I'd be very supprised if its made in China, although I have heard of cheap unofficial 'copies' of a few major brands being made in China.

EDIT: A bit of research finds its made in both Germany and China

I have used the S7-1200 a few times and all the CPU's, expansion modules and KTP600 touchscreens were made in China.