CIP Message Reference?

RSL said:
I bet if you change the controller minor revision to 13.71 you will be good to go.

Considering that I seem to be 99.99% of the way there, maybe bumping the CPU firmware version +0.01 is exactly what I need.

We shall see.

Update:

I upgraded the firmware in the CPU, and so far it works. Seeing as the version 13.70 firmware worked for a while and the release notes for version 13.71 only mention a feature upgrade for future expansion and a CNB card issue, I'm going to beat the heck out of this thing for the next few weeks.

The PLC is installed, but not running equipment yet. So I've got time to break it and backtrack to an alternate solution.

Contr_Conn, I think it's good that we discussed it here so that others can see how rigid the compatability matrix appears to be.

On another note:

We seem to have answered two out of three of my original questions. What about the CIP reference? A document like this one for each module would be great. Something to tell the user where everything is and how it works.

I know that some of the Rockwell field support guys and programmers must have cheat notes. You can only memorize so much of this stuff. Shouldn't it get into the knowledgebase? I probably wouldn't have to bother the guys at technical support if I was empowered to take a whack at it myself.

We seem to have answered two out of three of my original questions. What about the CIP reference? A document like this one for each module would be great. Something to tell the user where everything is and how it works.

I know that some of the Rockwell field support guys and programmers must have cheat notes. You can only memorize so much of this stuff. Shouldn't it get into the knowledgebase? I probably wouldn't have to bother the guys at technical support if I was empowered to take a whack at it myself.
I am using this one as my cheat sheet: A41855432 CIP Messaging Reference.
Combined with GSV instruction it has most of information you need

Side note: ver 15 redundancy is out.

Last edited:
akreel said:
What about the CIP reference? A document like this one for each module would be great. Something to tell the user where everything is and how it works.
I'm going to have to disagree with this one. The CIP reference that is in the knowledgebase is good but a list of all the CIP commands could be a very big liability for everyone.

You know all of those OPPS you can do by clicking the wrong button in RsLogix 5000? Just imagine the things that could happen if you could program those same accidental clicks in your program?

TWControls said:
Just imagine the things that could happen if you could program those same accidental clicks in your program?

Yeah, but I usually get over it and move on. As long as I can recover from it, all I do is cuss really loud. I enjoy cussing anyway. I think it makes the PLC a little bit excited, too.

I would expect a nice little warning in the cheat sheet if anything I'm going to try will brick a module, or if I won't be able to reset to default states.

Problem is not to brick a module, you probably will not get this, but kill working equipment.
Simple communication interruption for a few seconds can cause crash.

akreel said:
Yeah, but I usually get over it and move on. As long as I can recover from it, all I do is cuss really loud. I enjoy cussing anyway. I think it makes the PLC a little bit excited, too.
That's a little scary. We are talking about a redundant system here which is usually safety oriented

TWControls said:
That's a little scary. We are talking about a redundant system here which is usually safety oriented

Couple of things:

I'm not just looking at this PLC in particular. I'm asking out of general curiousity and a desire to include more in my bag of tricks. I always try to give things a good work out before deploying them. I know that's a lost art these days.

Usually safety oriented? I think a lot of people like to order up redundancy because they think it sounds good. There are a few common misconceptions about what a redundant PLC can actually do. I wouldn't actually choose PLC redundancy (any brand) for very many applications. There are plenty of other ways to provide safe backup control, and they're probably more proven and reliable.

Contr_Conn said:
Problem is not to brick a module, you probably will not get this, but kill working equipment.

Is there anything wrong with letting the customer choose his acceptable level of risk?

I can do a lot of stupid stuff already without trying. I may as well be handed all the rope I can handle. :)

Another Update

I tested the fail over on this PLC again after about a week. It has returned to its previous behavior, even with all the updated firmware installed.

I've left it in the hands of our on site support to make the phone call to tech support and collect whatever logs they may want.

When I hear something I'll check back.

That's too bad. I had hoped it would clear up for you. I hate to even bring it up but. Version 15 shows a lot of corrected problems in the release notes. Several sound at least similar to yours.

like I said we are not having the problems you are. We are still planning a firmware jump to version 15 in a couple of weeks though. I will let you know how that goes. You are supposed to be able to do it on the fly this time. We are going to plan for downtime during the upgrade and see how it goes.

RSL

I still think our switch configuration may have something to do with it.

If I get bored again, I may hook up a rack with cross-over cables to see what happens. That'll show me what it does when there's minimal negotiation time on the network.