Circuit Protection for VFD driven motors.

jgreenewv said:
🤷

Hallelujah! I'm glad I'm not the only person out there who's sick of this. Most of the engineers we deal with get ROYALLY ticked off if you point out inconsistencies in their specs, but you sure better not quote it their way then expect a change order approval to make it work later on. It's a lose-lose situation a lot of the time for contractors and equipment suppliers. But, they are the "engineers", so they know best, don't they? ;)

You hit a MAJOR nerve with thet one! And, fellers, as an ole dog I kin tell ya it is gettin' wurse and wurse.

It is becomin' common in the big A & E firms (thet's Architectural and Engineering) for the yung fellers to be totally desk bound. The firm cain't make an investment in lettin' the new guys out in the field, where the REAL edjicashun takes place. On top o thet, many firms wrongly thinks thet a set of plans and specs is the required work product. Of course, the owner and the contractors might think thet a economically constructed and properly working facility is the desired work product, but whut does they know.

Add to thet situation the attitudes whut occurs when you is spending someone else's money, and you get sloppy work with the primary objective being CYA for the firm. (Thet's Cover Your Assets)

The one's whut really get me cranked up are the ones thet give me a hard time when I is trying to correct their design errors, or provide a better product. They cain't be bothered to use engineering judgement, they jist say "make it like the spec". Naturally, these is the same ignoramusses whut tell you that following the spec don't relieve you of the responsibility for making it work at your own expense!

Tom Jenkins said:
You hit a MAJOR nerve with thet one! And, fellers, as an ole dog I kin tell ya it is gettin' wurse and wurse.

It is becomin' common in the big A & E firms (thet's Architectural and Engineering) for the yung fellers to be totally desk bound. The firm cain't make an investment in lettin' the new guys out in the field, where the REAL edjicashun takes place. On top o thet, many firms wrongly thinks thet a set of plans and specs is the required work product. Of course, the owner and the contractors might think thet a economically constructed and properly working facility is the desired work product, but whut does they know.

Add to thet situation the attitudes whut occurs when you is spending someone else's money, and you get sloppy work with the primary objective being CYA for the firm. (Thet's Cover Your Assets)

The one's whut really get me cranked up are the ones thet give me a hard time when I is trying to correct their design errors, or provide a better product. They cain't be bothered to use engineering judgement, they jist say "make it like the spec". Naturally, these is the same ignoramusses whut tell you that following the spec don't relieve you of the responsibility for making it work at your own expense!

What makes rankles me is when some young welp that constantly spouts out he is an "engineer" or he is a "college graduate" while trying to prove me wrong. Usually when I ask them how old they are, and let them know I have been doing my job longer than they have been alive, they tend to settle down some. That or I tell them to take what I just said and say it backwards. I move electrons there fore I speak backwards from engineer school.

Say this real loud while shaking your copy of the spec in their face.

"This panel was built to YOUR specifications. If you want it done right, it will cost a slightly phenominal fee."