Clearing a Micrologix 1500

basicbill

Hi all,
I've had a ML1500 sitting in the corner of my office for about 18 months. When I last connected to it, I had a different laptop with a different (newer) version of RSLogix 500 installed.

I have a new laptop and I have installed the original version (2.57....I know, I know) and it will not allow me to go online.

RSLinx shows the PLC and it auto-configures but I think since the program in the PLC was created with a newer version .... my version will not let me connect.

Is there a way to clear the PLC back to original state?

I will update my RSLogix 500 software when I have more time....for now, I'd just like to get connected.

Any thoughts?

Have you tried to upload the program that's in the ML1500?

Have you tried to download a simple new program? ( just one rung)

You have no choice but to update your RSLogix500 software to at least version 4.00 according to technote Answer ID 38852.

EDIT: If you have the license number and the name of the person who originally licensed the software, you should be able to download the latest release here:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/webupdates/

Just read and agree to the terms, and check the radio button for RSLogix500 on the next page...

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick comments.
Yes, I have tried to U/L and D/L the PLC but I get a 'no response from the PLC' error.

I seem to remember reading that program information could be erased on SLC-500 by pulling the battery and shorting a couple of terminals.

I was wondering if there was a similar process for the MicroLogix?

The MicroLogix 1500 has a battery hidden under the option plug cover, and I think you can surgically pull that and clear the memory if you really need to, but that won't help your effort to load a program into the controller.

RSLogix 500 version 2.57 doesn't have any ability to upload, download, or go online with a MicroLogix 1500 controller.

As noted previously, the first MicroLogix 1500 firmware was supported by RSLogix 500 version 4.00, but it's likely that your MicroLogix has newer firmware.

You need to take the time to update RSLogix 500, preferably to the current release, version 8.30.

Last edited: