Click PLC barcode scanning/sorting conveyor belt

paulmc130

First off, I am new to the whole PLC world and was tasked with a project at work. I was given a Click C0-11dre-D, Honeywell 310G barcode scanner, and an airtac 4v110-06 valve.

I am suppose to have the scanner scan a package on a conveyor belt and then have it sorted to an area based on the data from the bar code. Seemed simple...

The idea I had was when the package goes by the scanner, it compares the data with some set values, and whatever comes to be true activates a timer and when the timer is up it sends an output to the valve with an arm to push the package.

My first question is can the PLC take the input from the scanner every few seconds and have multiple timers running at the same time or am I going about this the wrong way?

Are there an sample programs I can look at?
Or any good training resources?

Thank you

http://accautomation.ca/plc-programming-example-shift-register-conveyor-reject/

Although this was written for a Do-More PLC the Click will also work. The sensor input will come from the barcode scanner.

Is the barcode scanner RS232?
In the click programming software you need to configure the port for ASCII. Then use the instruction RD (Receive). The instruction will allow you set the internal bits for status and where to put the received data.

Regards,

Thanks for the info, I will take a look and see what I can gather from it.

It is RS232. I configured port 2, got the scanner working, and have used the receive instruction and then copied the data to do a compare and then start a timer.

The problem I have is clearing out the data after one scan. I can get it to do an initial scan but once the data is in I can not seem to get rid of it. I have been trying to find a way to reset the data.

I would like it to be able to scan a package every 5 seconds, but the problem is the last sort point maybe 30 seconds away. So if it resets every scan my idea will not work.

I would not get rid of the data, just wait until the next scan comes in.
To do this look at either the Receiving or Success Bits. When you get the trailing edge of the Receiving Bit, then do your compare and set / reset the bit in the shift register.
Alternatively you can use the Success Bit to trigger moving the bit into the shift register.
Look at the Timing Chart on the help menu of the Click software for the RD instruction.

Note: You will also need a timing sensor on the conveyor. This will tell us when to shift the bits in the shift register.

Regards,
Garry

What is the maximum number of packages that could ever possibly be on the conveyor between the scanner and the exit point(s)?
How many sorting lanes will there be?