CLX to Flex read/write

I sometimes struggle with whether the tag specs need the array index or not, and whether the length is 1 or the number of elements of the array. You'd think you'd be able to read a tag to a tag, without having to specify start and length for arrays, but I believe you need the [0] specifications, and length = number of elements of the array. - I'll check tomorrow and post back unless someone else can confirm..

You usually get the "IOI Syntax Error" when the remote tag doesn't exist, or is configured incorrectly (You wouldn't be able to Verify the project if there was a problem with the local tag).

Check you have the correct structure, DINT[8], in the Flex you are reading, and that it is Controller-Scoped !

I can't believe you might have created MyDINTArray as Program-Scoped after the preceding events, but could be worth a double-check just to make sure ?.

That's like the guy who scanned a 45 record, loaded the image onto his computer.....
I remember seeing a guy on television years ago who could tell you the piece of (classical) music that was on an LP, with the label taken off !! He claimed he was reading the grooves, picking up on tempo, loudness, spacing etc., but he might have had a shot at the stamping of the catalogue number ????

Yeah, I made sure it was controller scoped.

Here's the problem
I cannot get the CIP data table read messages to work
regardless of datatype.

Alrighty, so I packed the bits into a DINT[8]
And I have my message configured comme ca:
===================================
Msg Type: CIP Data Table Read
Source Element: MyDINTArray[0]
Number of Elements: 8
Destination Element: MyDINTArray[0]
====================================
o_O Error Code:16#0004 Extended Error Code:
Error Path: **Classified**
Error Text: |0| syntax error
====================================

I tried with and without the [0] at the end of the source/destination element, but I still get the same error.
|0| syntax error.

What Am I doing wrong?

Let me be more specific
from the CLX to a FLX messaging
I've tried 4 combinations with the CIP Data Table Read message type:
The Source/Destination Element with and without the [0] at the end with the number of elements set to 1 and to the length of the array. For those of you keeping track at home thats 4 combinations.
I know my path is valid, I'm using the format EthernetCardName,2,IPAddress.

Every time, the same error comes back, 0004 IOI syntax error
extended status out of memory.
Has anyone else had trouble with the CIP data table read?

here is a link to a screenshot
http://www.esnips.com/doc/44d86018-4b34-418b-b4d4-dbc7a63e731a/CIPmessage

Last edited:
Aha ! It's very likely the CIP Path.

ControlLogix-family controllers consider their network cards to be "bridges". The actual originator and endpoint are slots in a backplane.

SLC, PLC-5E, and MicroLogix controllers that use Ethernet/IP consider the controller's Ethernet port to be an endpoint itself.

To send a message to an SLC-5/05 or a 1761-NET-ENI from a ControlLogix, the path is

EthernetCardName,2,IPAddress

The "EthernetCardName" actually represents a CIP routing segment because it tells the message "go out the backplane Port, and to the EthernetCard Slot".

To send a message to a ControlLogix, FlexLogix, or CompactLogix, you must explicitly add the Backplane port and the Slot Number of the controller.

EthernetCardName,2,IPAddress,1,0

For ControlLogix, the Slot number can be any slot. For CompactLogix I know it's Slot 0.

But I have to go verify what it is for FlexLogix. It might be 1, it might be 0.

update: Both CompactLogix and FlexLogix controllers are considered to be in "Slot 0" of their controller's virtual backplane.

Hello everyone!

I had a similar issue which I tried using this solution for in V28, I think I was not able to figure out the 'Program' part of the string I was supposed to copy.

Ken, Is this the Controller name? I tried that to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
-PreLC

PreLC, go ahead and open a new thread with your new issue.

This old thread was based on controllers from ten years ago, and ControlLogix software, architecture, and functionality has changed in that time.

If you have the opportunity to simplify your system and use Produced/Consumed Tags or ordinary controller-scope tags for reading/writing via MSG instructions, then I recommend doing so.