CoDeSys. What do you think ?

I love using Codesys for it's flexibility.(y) My Old company uses 750-841 almost extensively! The most tedious is to read from a Catapillar CCM. but using a mix of Structured text, FDBs and ladder, it works out mighty fine!
Putting priority scan time to more important tasks, the response is very good!

just my 3p worth~

regards
Sherine T.

Well day one of my CoDeSys class is done. I think this stuff is well powerfull. It seems to be a complete PLC package. There are some things that are a challenge but I imagine the more I play with the package the easier it is to use.

The class is being taught by Ken Ryan from Alexandria Technical College. WebSite.

Joe_WaZoo

Yes codesys at beckhoff is cheap , but very good. It is used by many others and complys fully with IEC.
It is written by 3S and many have given it their own name.

One small detail that I have heard now:

Can someone confirm or deny that the Beckhoff CX PCs/PLCs have to be configured by Beckhoff ?
You cannot for example add a module with extra serial ports yourself. I mean what is installed on the PC side not the i/o module side.
The modules on the PC side are physically attached onto the CPU so that you cannot remove or exchange them.
This would mean that you have to predict what you eventually will need in the lifetime of the project. Somewhat inflexible I think.

edit:
I have started a new thread as my questions are more about BeckHoff than CoDeSys.
So pardon me, as the question above is actually double posted.

Last edited:
Beckhoff BC9050

I'm sitting here with a BC9050... not sure if I should call it a PLC or an intelligent bus node. One thing is for sure: It's cheap as dirt.

Right now I'm looking at 1/4th the price of a "Normal" PLC (that would in my case be a Mitsubishi or Siemens) with Ethernet.

As far as configuration I can add and remove any IO slices, though it requires a restart of the system. Online change of the project is easy and straight forward (using TwinCAT). When I change tasks I need to restart the PLC.

As far as capacity I can't really tell yet, right now I have it handling 8 DI from a pulse generator and then running a few timers and float calculations on the results of the incoming pulses. So far adding additional channels of input barely puts a dent in the cycle time.

Right now I find this system almost too good to be true when it comes to performance/price. But as we all know one can't know if it's a good investment until it's been in a production line for a few years.