Comms between Raspberry Pi 2 and RSLogix 5000

dev67

Hey PLCtalk!

Just a forewarning, I am entirely new to everything PLC besides a few weeks of watching training vids on youtube, so be gentle with me!

So my boss wants to have me develop some HMI stuff for the Raspberry Pi with a touch screen which sounds great. Catch is that it has to communicate somehow with the Allen-Bradley PLCs we use and be sure everything jives with the existing programs we have written in RSLogix 5000.

I've been researching up on communication protocols and searching these forums like crazy trying to learn as much as possible and gather what options I have here.

I've been looking closely at MODBUS communications, but it's looking like I'd have to buy a new module to incorporate into the existing PLC block setup? Which would make the project kind of clunky since this supposed to be a cost saving project.

Boss mentioned to me that serial comms may be an option, and with my bit of experience in Arduino/RazPi I think I could figure that out. However, I'm assuming it's going to be a bit more adjustment in the RSL/5000 code to get that to send / receive all the data we want to transfer between them. Instead of being able to request objects by name and update data between Pi and PLC.

Another reaaaaally dirty way of doing it that he mentioned might even be to have a digital Input and Output block on the PLC and actually setup a custom I/O between these and the GPIO pins on the Pi. My initial reaction to this; nightmare. I am not nearly experienced enough with either devices to get a working comms interface like this to work. So I'm really hoping there's a standardized protocol to use instead of this latter method.

We do have a DeviceNet block on all PLC systems we use so I considered looking into whether the Pi could be added as a CANbus device. But I haven't looked into it at all yet.

TL;DR:
So what communications protocol would you suggest I use to pass data between the Raspberry Pi and RSLogix 5000 PLCs? I can do the research / legwork to get it working but a starting point would be extreeeemely helpful!!!

Sorry for such a long post, just kind of doing a brain-dump in hopes of some direction from the experts. Thanks for taking the time out to read it!

SO, modbus would require a 'something' between the PI and the PLCs, but it doesn't have to be a PLC module.

You could use something like this instead http://www.anybus.com/products/products.asp?PID=73&ProductType=Anybus-S
Still addt. cost, but cheaper than the PLC module is going to be.

You could also use Codesys and their Ethernet i/p module, but I have never set that up w/ a rasp pi, so no clue as to the difficulty.

Serial using ASCII is an option, not terrible but you'd have to add code to each PLC to handle it on that end.

and of course, depending on the OS you are running on the PI, You could just use something like AdvancedHMI or Ignition which both have built in drivers for the AB PLCs.

How well do you know Python?

Edit: Oh yeah, as Dravik mentioned, AdvancedHMI will run on the Pi using the Mono project.

Ahhhh yea I saw this post and got hung up on the whole mySCADA site someone posted in there but that Mono and AdvancedHMI really looks like the way to go. Thanks for reminding me it was out there.

And as for Python, beginner for sure. I've written a few scripts for some tv show and movie snatching with a media / torrent box I have at home but even most of that code was copied/pasted.

I've done IT for about 3-5 years but wanted to break into engineering without a degree. Managed to get hired on at a place that put me in a "training" program of theirs which just involves me self-teaching and shadowing others with project ideas coming from the CEO to guide this self-teaching essentially.

check 'pycomm' library by Agostino Ruscito.
this will do the job and let you do what you want.

Dint2.
Basically No

Stop reporting asking for deletions
If you don't want it in the site don't post it

Rasp Pi to RSLogix 5000

I too have had an interest in a Rasp Pi to Rockwell PLC. Requests have come from customers who are using Allen-Bradley PLCs of various types.
I can't offer any specific solutions at this time but I am familiar with all of the Rockwell PLCs and software. I continue to research this. If I can be of any help let me know.