Communicating to Panelview+ with RIO

Has anyone set up RIO comm's between a PLC 5/20 and a panelview Plus 600 HMI using FactoryTalk View Studio Machine addition?

I'm writing a simple application but am stuck at stage 1.

I've been messing about for hours and not got anywhere with it.

RIO can be a real pain with PV+, are there any other comms options available to you ?

I'm trying to put a HMI on a AB PLC 5/20. I dont know what other options I have.
( I dont have much experience on AB )

What I what to do is replace a DL20 message display with this PV600+

Last edited:
Do you have the full AB part number of the processor?
The PLC 5/20 has DH+ as standard, I would go down this route if ethernet is not an option for you.

Regards..

Last edited:
Do you have the full AB part number of the processor?
The PLC 5/20 has DH+ as standard, I would go down this route if ethernet is not an option for you.

Regards..

I thought RIO and DH+ was the same thing. (yes I'm that inexperienced on AB )

It's Cat No 1785-L20B PLC-5/20

So for the runtime I use the DHplus, DH+ ?

Do you have the add-on comms module for your PV+ to allow RIO/DH+ comms? They are expensive as I remember.(if you have this then use DH+ for runtime).
How far away in the PV+ from the PLC, and how many tags do you have? (you could use a serial connection if PV+ is local to PLC,but would only recommend for a low tag count)
How was the original DL20 message display connected?

Shaun.

Last edited:
Don't even think about using RIO, it's archaic to use for HMI applications. Use DH+, you just need to buy the add-on card for DH+/RIO communications (the card can do both).