PanelView Plus 600 Ethernet'ed to a MicroLogix 1400 Not Communicating

sopenco

Could someone please help me figure out what's missing here?

I have an ML1400 and a PV+600 both connected to an ethernet switch. If I connect the switch to my network and set the ML1400 to DHCP, they talk back and forth just fine. I can't get them to talk in any mode without the switch being connected to the network.

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions!

I would venture a guess that when the switch is not connected to the network both devices' DHCP protocol will time out resulting in a 169.x.x.x IP on each. Perhaps they are not defaulting to any IP at all if one is not assigned. When you are not connected to the network, can you access either one through the switch?

Some suggestions:
1. Assign DHCP reservations for those devices MAC's so that they always get the same IP while connected.
2. Assign static IP's to each device and exclude those from the DHCP server so that if/when you do connect to the network you won't get conflicts.
3. Leave them connected to the network.

" I can't get them to talk in any mode without the switch being connected to the network." <--- any mode being something other than ethernet?

Good luck

If I’m not mistaken, neither device has “auto detect” with regards to cable connection where the switch probably does (most switches do). Do you get a “link” status when the two are connected to each other without the switch?