AB Panelview Plus 600

ELGC

Hello Team,

I have a question, I have been working with a panelview plus 600. But I have deleted all the .mer directly from the HMI, after that I am not able to see/ping or connect directly to the panelview. As you can see I have many panelview on the same network but that is the only one I can not see or ping or anything, I tried to connect directly PC-->panel view and it is the same. Any help is welcome. Before I delete all the .mer I was able to go online and see the panelview.

Thank you in advance for your help.

PV.JPG

The contents of the internal storage and its communications have nothing to do with each other. I'm pretty sure this is just coincidence. This is a fundamental networking issue. Your computer network adapter is misconfigured, the something changed with the PanelView's network configuration, duplicate IP address or there is something up with the network cable.

I'd start by looking at your computers network configuration, make sure it is on the 192.168.1.x subnet and does not use an IP address that is already on that network. Check the PanelView's network configuration, make sure it is still 192.168.1.122. Check the PanelView network port to see if the lights are blinking when the network cable is connected.

While you can use RSLinx to see if a PanelView is on the network, RSLinx is not used to talk to your PanelView in any way. The transfer utility uses RSLinx Enterprise/FactoryTalk Llinx.

Hi

The contents of the internal storage and its communications have nothing to do with each other. I'm pretty sure this is just coincidence. This is a fundamental networking issue. Your computer network adapter is misconfigured, the something changed with the PanelView's network configuration, duplicate IP address or there is something up with the network cable.

I'd start by looking at your computers network configuration, make sure it is on the 192.168.1.x subnet and does not use an IP address that is already on that network. Check the PanelView's network configuration, make sure it is still 192.168.1.122. Check the PanelView network port to see if the lights are blinking when the network cable is connected.

While you can use RSLinx to see if a PanelView is on the network, RSLinx is not used to talk to your PanelView in any way. The transfer utility uses RSLinx Enterprise/FactoryTalk Llinx.

Hello thanks for your answer. As I said before, I was working with the panelview with no problems and the after I deleted the .mer I was not able to see it again. My computer is on the same network otherwise I wouldn't be able to see other panel views in the same network. Also when I open the transfer utility I am able to see all my panelviews except the one with the ip 192.168.1.122.

Regards

Hello thanks for your answer. As I said before, I was working with the panelview with no problems and the after I deleted the .mer I was not able to see it again. My computer is on the same network otherwise I wouldn't be able to see other panel views in the same network. Also when I open the transfer utility I am able to see all my panelviews except the one with the ip 192.168.1.122.

Regards

yes, like dmroeder said, in order to change the IP of the panelview, you have to actually change it on the panelview itself separate of the .MER.

the panelview mer file contains the program and networking information for how the panelview establishes communication with the plc (when downloading, you get prompted to replace communications or not). even if you delete or remove those network settings by choosing to replace them when downloading a program to it, it still won't affect the panelview IP address that is set on the device itself.

try these things,

1)go to the config screen for the PV and ensure the IP and subnet are correct. maybe take a pic so we can see what you're working with.
2)ping the IP using command prompt on a pc on the network. if you can't ping it, you have a networking problem with the pc or panelview ip.
3)if you can ping, but still can't see it. unplug the network cable from the PV and see if you can ping it, if you get a reply after unplugging the PV then you have a duplicate somewhere causing problems. if not then plug it back in again and do step 4
4)try to delete the harmony files for RSlinx, sometimes communication can get lost and not reconnect on it's own with rslinx, and the easiest way to get the item to refresh and show comms is to delete the harmony files.

The *.MER file includes a configuration for the RSLinx Enterprise drivers that run onboard the terminal.

If all the *.MER's are deleted, then there may be no configuration at all for either the serial port or the Ethernet port drivers. There has to be at least a default configuration in order for RSLinx Enterprise to even answer browse requests on the network.

It's easy to fix: go to the Configuration menus and navigate/select

Navigate to Terminal Settings [F4]

Select Networks and Communications [Enter]

Select RSLinx Enterprise Communications [Enter]

Select Restore Default [F3]

You may also want to double check the ordinary IP settings of the terminal operating system. That's also in the Networks and Connections settings area, under Network Adapters -> IP Address.

The *.MER file includes a configuration for the RSLinx Enterprise drivers that run onboard the terminal.

If all the *.MER's are deleted, then there may be no configuration at all for either the serial port or the Ethernet port drivers. There has to be at least a default configuration in order for RSLinx Enterprise to even answer browse requests on the network.

You may also want to double check the ordinary IP settings of the terminal operating system. That's also in the Networks and Connections settings area, under Network Adapters -> IP Address.

I could see restoring defaults for it, but why would the general network configuration be overwritten when deleting MER? I've cleared out all MER on panelview before and never had it lose comms because the network configurations weren't modified.

And to clarify Ian's comment: the IP address of the PanelView Plus is part of the Windows CE operating system, even though it is accessed via the configuration menus.

If the Ethernet driver in RSLinx Enterprise has been deleted, you can still PING the terminal and get some basic low level responses from management tools. Maybe VNC even runs on some of the terminals that support it.

But you need an RSLinx Enterprise Ethernet driver running on the terminal itself for it to respond to browses, or the upload/download utility, or to do runtime comms.

For whatever reason, PanelViews don't use FTP or other general purpose file transfer protocols to upload and download and manage files: they use RSLinx Enterprise services.

And lastly: Yes, I think that the terminals should automatically install a default set of drivers if they find the driver config to be empty, or at least prompt the user to do so.

But they don't, at least not on the terminals I have used.

Did not work

Hello,

I have tried to do it several times, because it is the way I remembered to do it. Unfortunately did not works. Also I have double checked my IP's and are on the same network.

Any other ideas?

I just worked through making a panelview plus 6 that was converted from CCFL to LED and I had deleted all files off of a few of them during the process, but never lost comms.

Sorry, this just seems odd to me that it would lose rslinx configuration after that, I've just never encountered it.

Hello,

I have tried to do it several times, because it is the way I remembered to do it. Unfortunately did not works. Also I have double checked my IP's and are on the same network.

Any other ideas?

I would take your laptop to the location of that panelview and if possible, plug in from that location and see if you can see the rest of the network. or try to plug in directly to the panelview with a different cable. what are the chances you just have a bad cable there?

Restore Ethernet port drivers

Hi,

You are right the configuration for the ethernet was deleted when I delete all the .MER from the HMI, I have tried many times to do what you suggest me before I make this question here. But I do not why the configuration was deleted. So I am not able to ping or see the panelview in the transfer utility tree.

Regards

Network

I would take your laptop to the location of that panelview and if possible, plug in from that location and see if you can see the rest of the network. or try to plug in directly to the panelview with a different cable. what are the chances you just have a bad cable there?

Hello Ian, I am able to see all my network but not the 198.168.1.122 node.
As you can see in the image I am able to see all those nodes, and also I am able to PING all the panelviews.

Any other ideas?

Regards

Hello Ian, I am able to see all my network but not the 198.168.1.122 node.
As you can see in the image I am able to see all those nodes, and also I am able to PING all the panelviews.

Any other ideas?

Regards

did you get this result from your current location or from the panelview ethernet cable itself?

you should try to verify that the cable that gets that panelview on the network is still good. Plug into the panelview with a patch cable and try to ping it directly.

Last edited: