Communication Between Control Logix and TDC-3000

mhv

Hello,
I need communication between PLC Control Logix with TDC - 3000 of honeywell, I want to use DH+ protocol, and I need know the devices necessary for the implementation. The device in the side Control logix an side tdc - 3000.

I know, that Control Logix have, the 1756-DHRIO, but, I need something more. And, Can I to use RS - 485?, the TDC - 3000 have devices for DH+?, existing the hardware for to do this?

If, somebody, can help me, MillionThank.

Best regards.

TDC3000 only supports DF1 protocol via an SI card.

If you want redundant comms youll have to go the EPLCG route which is horrendously expensive.
A route alot of folks go is to use one PLC as a data concentrator and hit that with the TDC.
Bear in mind though that the Honeywell SI card was designed to be used DF1 with a PLC5 and as such can have issues talking DF1 to SLC and CLX. The problems there centered mostly around the ability to write flags (digitals) to the PLC.
There is NO way to talk DH+ or Ethernet IP to a TDC3000.

Comunication beetween Control Logix and TDC - 3000

Thank you, for you response.

Can I to do it with MODBUS this configuration?

Yes.

TDC 3000 SI cards support both Modbus RS-232 and RS-485 though youll need to buy the correct FTA as they differ from the one used for AB DF1.
The IOP card plugs into the FTA but the FTA also requires a seperate power adaptor module (its the same type used for Digital FTAs so you may be able to snag a feed from one of those). Also the SI Array point setup in the DCS is a little tricky as ALL the Array points for a particular channel need to be of the same type ... no 'mixing and matching' otherwise you'll get a soft fail.

mhv said:
Hello,
I need communication between PLC Control Logix with TDC - 3000 of honeywell, I want to use DH+ protocol, and I need know the devices necessary for the implementation. The device in the side Control logix an side tdc - 3000.

I know, that Control Logix have, the 1756-DHRIO, but, I need something more. And, Can I to use RS - 485?, the TDC - 3000 have devices for DH+?, existing the hardware for to do this?

If, somebody, can help me, MillionThank.

Best regards.

I've used a PLC 5 as a Gateway between the CLX and the TDC3000, but you also have to use a 1771-KF2. However I was told that somewhere here in Venezuela someone integrated a CLX with a TDC3000 using the 1756-DHRIO and the KF2 without the Gateway.
If you are going to use Modbus keep in mind that some cards like the Prosoft's cant address 0xxxxx coils and can only work with 4xxxx holding registers. This can be a problem because the TDC3000 wont be able to write bits into registers.
Check that the interface that you have can map coils and holding registers.
Certanly, TDC3000 works like a charm with MODBUS but is a headache with DF1.
Like SLC_Integrator said the the EPLCG is EXTREMLY expensive, but is your only choice if you need redundancy, and also keep in mind that the Serial Interface will need one PV Regulator on the Applications Module for any Analog signal and a Digital Compose por any Digital signal. If you want to communicate many signals with the TDC3000, you should take this issues into consideration.
However, if you only need a few signals, 'theorically' you could configure in a HPM 2 Serial Interfaces to access a single PLC using two diferent ports. But you would need a huge amount of programs on the HPM or AM to make some sort of redundancy work.

Last edited: