Communication between Festo CPX and Rslogix 500

Snap25

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a few inputs going into this festo I/O module. How do I go about setting up this module to communicate with with the 5/05 PLC ?

I've made minor modifications in the logic in a few programs, nothing to advanced. I'm just having a hard time grasping the concept of how to get them to communicate and why random inputs (not the valve outputs) are connected here and not to the allen bradley PLC.

I might be sign up for an Rockwell EtherNet/IP course to grasp this topic a little better.

Do i need a festo software as well?

Anyways, if anyone wants to try to help me understand, I appreciate it.

Festo
Cpx fb 32
Cpx ab 8 kl 4pol

PLC
1747-L551B/C 5/05

Hi

I think you might be a bit of bother.
I was actually setting Festo on Ethernet ip today and clx
I may be wrong but slc does not support Ethernet ip
I have used the cpx on device net was th slc but never over Ethernet.
Again I am open to been corrected and I hope I am.
You may be able to use a message block but I have never seen it on slcto a Festo cpx over Ethernet

Donnchadh

I do have other options.. I have a a different Festo manifold I can use for all the air actuated outputs and wire it into an output card in the panel and then just run the inputs that are going into the current Festo I/O module to the plc as well

I would be more hard pressed on figuring this out if I was using 5000 but this machine is just tying into an existing panel that has a few slots available on the PLC rack that they want me to utilize.

All of our new panels use 5000.. but that still doesn't solve my problem with being very inexperienced with networking šŸ™ƒ

The SLC-5/05 uses the Ethernet port for upload/download, inter-controller messaging, and connectivity to HMI and SCADA software.

It does not support I/O control over Ethernet. Only the ControlLogix family of controllers from Rockwell do that.

While it is possible with some devices to emulate I/O control using MSG or EEM instructions in the SLC-5/05, I never recommend it. It is almost never worth the effort and is never as reliable as actual ControlLogix I/O connections.