Compact flash card in CompactLogix 5380

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
Evidently I'm not straight with this...

If you do an program edit, and do not re-save the file to the flash card, when do you risk booting up the un-edited file?

There is a tiny file on the root directory of the CF/SD card that tells the controller what conditions it should apply the saved firmware/user program image.

Off the top of my head, the selections are Always, on Corrupt Memory, and User-Initiated.

So if you pulled the battery and cycled power (on the old models that used batteries) or there was an event that cleared the memory like a voltage spike or RAM failure, then the controller would check that option file, and follow its instructions.