Compactlogix Firmware Update Failure

martyndwn

am having some issues with updating the firmware on a 1769-L35E,.

The flash process will start and all the blocks are transferred, but at the end the Poll for power up will time out. I then get a message saying 'Failed to begin update to the target device. The target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update.

I have the controller key switch in prog mode.

The red OK indicator then flashes red.

Is there anyway of recovering this?

Thank you

When you are connecting to those 30 series don't drill down through the backplane to the processor. Just select the parent module and apply the update that way.

Thank you,

I have tried that, if I don't select the parent module, it will not start the update. The update will start, but fails when it polls for power up.

Can you suggest anything else?

Does the PLC have a static IP address? That's a common error setting new PLC's up out of the box - setting the IP address with the BOOTP tool or similar, but forgetting to disable BOOTP/DHCP. So then when it power cycles during a firmware update, the IP address is lost and while it powers up just fine, your PC with ControlFlash running on it can't see it any more

The PLC is a series A 1769-L35e, so it is not new and it was working. The original problem was that I could ping and see the PLC in RSlinx but I couldn't drill down to be able to download or go online to the PLC. I was hoping that a upgrading the firmware might help.

Due to this issue, I have to attempt the firmware flash, with a serial cable.

Try ControlFlash or ControlFlashPlus, whichever one you haven't used yet. The Plus version has often not been ready to work with the older stuff in my experience and the original version sometimes wont handle the revision (or file extension) you need.

I have racks of those L35's and have seen what you describe before (long time ago) and got it to work without going serial. Though in the interest of time that might be faster.