Compactlogix L24-ER-QBIB to Controllogix L55 with ENTBT/A

desertsurf520

Lifetime Supporting Member
Im new to Ethernet/IP so I expected some issues but I am not sure if what I am trying to do is even possible. I believe these 2 PLCs should be able to communicate AND I can add the controllogix ENBT to the compactlogix project but I cannot add the compactlogix to the L55 project. I am trying to set up MSG instructions between the 2 controllers. I was having time out errors between them but then I set the com module to none instead of Rack Optimized. Everything else is setup correctly I believe. I am not faulting out on time but I feel I am doing SOMETHING wrong and maybe because I cannot add the compactlogix to the controllogix project. I guess there may be different ways to do this but I appreciate any direction and input.

You should not need to add the CompactLogix to the ControlLogix tree, just set up the message with the correct path, there are examples in the user manuals.

If you are trying to set up produced/consumed then you will need the processors in each others tree, as the L24 is a lot newer than the L55 you should be able to add a L32E to the L55 tree and then that should work, search for posts by Ken Roach about this.

I'm sure we discussed this a few weeks ago but now it's time to do it for real.

You don't need the controllers to be in one another's I/O trees just to exchange MSG instructions. You can fill out the CIP Path manually.

If you want to exchange Produced/Consumed Tags, you do need those connections to be configured in the I/O tree. The trick to getting a "newer" controller to work with an "older" one is to use an equivalent model as a placeholder.

When you have an older 1756-L55 or 1756-L6x and you want to put a CompactLogix from the past couple of generations into its I/O tree, the standard workaround is to put a 1769-L35E in the I/O tree in its place, with the same IP address.

So let's take a step back and examine what you're trying to do: P/C Tags, or MSG instructions ?

Post the IP addresses of the two devices, and the Slot numbers of the CPU and the Ethernet module for the 1756 chassis.

192.168.1.71 1769 (port 2) controller 192.168.1.81 1756 controller CPU slot 0 ENTB is slot 3.

I did add the controllogix to the tree in the compactlogix but should I just leave it off if I can't add them on both ends?

You could write the CIP Path in the CompactLogix by hand:

2, 192.168.1.81, 1, 0

That means "Out from Port 2 (Ethernet), to IP address 192.168.1.81, to Port 1 (backplane), to Slot 0".

Likewise you could write the CIP Path in the ControlLogix by hand:

1, 3, 2, 192.168.1.71

That means "Out from Port 1 (backplane), to Slot 3 (ENBT), to Port 2 (Ethernet), to IP address 192.168.1.71."

Having the CPU's in the I/O tree makes it easier, because you just click on them. But it's not required.

Ok. I will try that. I think I had the compactlogix side good with 2, 192.168.1.81, 1, 0 but somehow I was way off on the controllogix side. I will try to give it a go tomorrow.

Ok. Worked great! I have coms now and can send data back and forth as I can see in the watch window.

Ken. I am investing in training so I can get more up to speed with Studio 5000 and hopefully Factory Talk View Studio, too. I was going to just take the Rockwell training to get the logix programmer cert but I wanted to ask if you had any recommendations. I have a couple books but I know the way I learn best is by just getting into it. I know there's a ton of private trainers out there. Its been hard with Rockwell because they won't run the class unless they have enough people so my class got delayed...