CompactLogix L43A Prod/Cons 1756-L72S

rgohn1

Hi All,

I am looking to consume some data in my 1756-L72S (connection through EN2T) that is being produced by my 1769-L43A (connection through ENBT).

Att. photo 1 - view from the consumer PLC, the producers ENBT card can be interfaced with no problems, you can see the module is running with the matching major/minor firmware

1.PNG

Att. photo 2 - view from the consumer PLC, the connection tab of the 1768-L43 Processor comes up as faulted, error code being "Bad Class"

2.PNG

Att. photo 3 - view from the consumer PLC, the module tab of the 1768-L43 Processor is detected and comes up as a match

3.PNG

Of course I cant consume data on the 1756-L72 with the bad class error. I've seen this fault code in the past on another project... however in that project, I had the slot numbers incorrect on the consumer side of what the producer PLC was in reality.

Att. photo 4 - view from the producer PLC, this is how the modules are in the slots, I believe I have them correct in the correct orientation.

4.PNG

I must be overlooking something.
I've interconnected many PLC's of different types in the past without much trouble. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly,

Robert.

I believe the error is related to a problem with the produce/consume tags, not with the I/O config. If there is a problem with a consume tag you will see the yellow attention symbol on the CPU.

Can you post screenshots of the produce and consume tags?

OG

I believe everything is aligned, tag-wise. Usually it indicates there are datatype mismatches if that's the case. Photo's below to show:

Att. photo 1 -- producer tags

5.PNG
8.PNG

Att. photo 2 -- consumer tags

6.PNG
7.PNG

Connection Status is the problem. I guess I should say it is a conflict.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/64326/loc/en_US#__highlight
The Producer with version 17 firmware, or higher, uses UDT with the Connection_Status information. The Consumer with version 16, or lower, can not use this tag subelement.

Another Tech Note QA6930 says

From version 17 of the RSLogix 5000 software, status information can be included with produced and consumed tags with Standard applications. In order to take advantage of this enhancement, the Produced/Consumed (P/C) tag will need to be a User Defined Type (UDT) with the first member being of data type CONNECTION_STATUS.

OG

Last edited:
Thanks kindly Operaghost, not only for a working solution, but also for the timely replies.
Working beautifully now.