CompactLogix to 3rd party ERP

Jcooli09

Hello, everyone!

I've recently installed a 1769-L33ER CompactLogix 5370 controller at an old distribution facility we own. We are trying to interface with it to extract scale information for our bills of lading, but I can't get the communication to work.

I'm running RSLinx 2.41, and I was able to download an EDS file and get it to recognize the CompactLogix, but I get an error message when I try to extract data, 'no application responded to the DDE initiate'.

When I right click on the processor in the right hand window in Linx, the option 'data monitor' doesn't appear at all. I tried connecting to a PLC5 at another facility, and I do get the data monitor, and it returns data.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make this talk to my ERP software?

Thanks

Your old software is probably built for the PLC-5 and is sending PLC-5 style commands to the controller. That "Data Monitor" feature in RSLinx probably checks to be sure that the controller is a PLC-5 before attempting to list its data tables and read them.

The first thing I'd do is try an upgrade. RSLinx Classic 2.41 is probably more than ten years out of date. The last release of RSLinx 2.x was version 2.59, so that's what I would try.

ControlLogix and CompactLogix have a PLC-5 comms emulation mode called "PLC/SLC Data Mapping" that you can configure in RSLogix 5000. That is probably your best chance at getting connectivity between the old ERP software and the modern CompactLogix.