CompactLogixUSB Port

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there an advantage to communicating to CompactLogix with the USB port versus Ethernet?
I've always used Bootp to set the IP address on a new PLC.
Would it be easier to go online using the USB port?
I'm thinking it would.

1769-30-ERM

L30ERM.PNG

I find the USB port to be much easier than BootP (when Windows cooperates with the driver). Plug in, once Windows is happy with it, RSLinx will automatically load the driver, you can then set the address from Linx.

Once I set the IP, I switch to Ethernet because I don't like to be tethered with a short USB cable.

I use CompactLogix for development of firmware for EtherNet/IP adapter devices. The beauty of USB is that you can monitor the process data in the PLC without adding additional traffic to the Ethernet communications. In development it is necessary to do a lot of Wireshark capture so the less traffic the better.

I can imagine USB being very useful for development of a PLC application in the lab.

But for most practical applications in the manufacturing environment, USB would be practical only if the HMI is close to the CompactLogix. But even then the USB connector is protruding horizontally, kind of unguarded, whether the LAN connectors are connected from below, kind of better protected. I would say the USB would be useful for a quick check with LogixStudio but not for a permanent communication in the shop floor.

I find the USB port to be much easier than BootP (when Windows cooperates with the driver). Plug in, once Windows is happy with it, RSLinx will automatically load the driver, you can then set the address from Linx.

Once I set the IP, I switch to Ethernet because I don't like to be tethered with a short USB cable.

+1 but I also use the flash card a lot when updating the firmware, the flash card is faster and you dont need to sit around watching a bar on your screen as life ticks away

+1 but I also use the flash card a lot when updating the firmware, the flash card is faster and you dont need to sit around watching a bar on your screen as life ticks away
Is there a KB or Tutorial on using the FlashCard for updating Firmware?
Faster is good?

I also gave bootp the boot when the USB port came out. I don’t think I’ve used bootp since. After I have firmware and an IP address set I switch back to Ethernet. Mainly just because I connect many times with a little wireless router so I can freely walk around with my laptop.