Configure Allen-Bradley PLC without Studio 5000

The first quote says there needs to be an HMI (I assume customers are Humans ;)), the second says maybe not. I take this to mean that temporary/occastional HMI functionality is desired without a physical HMI (PanelView, etc.) solution.

Unless an operator panel will be built, HMI software that resides on a PC or laptop, perhaps only connected and rung when needed, might be a solution.

• AdvancedHMI comes to mind, with reasonable licensing costs; there is a learning curve involved but it is not steep, or it could be jobbed out.
  • At least one of the commercial PC-based HMIs has a trial option where it runs for free for a few hours*, which might work for this occasional HMI application.
  • Another option would be a custom program either using a library like pylogix (Github) or a generic communication protocol like Modbus.
  • Can the GuardLogix implement a webserver? Perhaps data could be updated via a PC or laptop with a web browser.
    • A similar option would be a Raspberry PI or similar combining the previous option (pylogix, Modbus) to communicate to the GuardLogix with a web interface for an HMI, but AdvancedHMI or the pylogix/Modbus on the PC/Laptop would be simpler.
* Ignition/Inductive Automation? Someone please confirm or correct me.
Yes, you can run Ignition in trial mode for 2 hours at a time indefinitely. It has the AB drivers that lets you browse the tags you want and drag them into the designer. You can read/write those tags within the designer, or create a runtime with a conventional user interface. Maker edition is for home use only. It will run without the 2 hour limit as long as it has an internet connection.

The first quote says there needs to be an HMI (I assume customers are Humans ;)), the second says maybe not. I take this to mean that temporary/occastional HMI functionality is desired without a physical HMI (PanelView, etc.) solution.

Yes! Thanks for the translation.

• AdvancedHMI comes to mind
Looks usable on first sight. It would mean to tell the customer to install a new software on their computers (that need to have Windows) which I hesitate to do. But for an optional functionality maybe OK.

* Ignition/Inductive Automation? Someone please confirm or correct me.
The software is called Ignition, the Company Inductive Automation.
Looks on first sight like a nice software, at least based on their promises and screenshots. Previous comment applies here too.

• Another option would be a custom program either using a library like pylogix (Github) or a generic communication protocol like Modbus.

I personally like that because it's something I understand well, python is probably installed on every computer, the necessary pylogix software can be included, I can include the necessary checks for the parameters.
I should have thought of it myself, thanks for reminding.

• Can the GuardLogix implement a webserver? Perhaps data could be updated via a PC or laptop with a web browser.

I tried to look this up. The only thing I found was an extra module that could be attached. It's latest documentation was from 2006 but was referenced in a more recent document. So it didn't look that attractive. The Siemens version of that idea works: you can enable a webserver, access it with your browser, change files on the SD-Card which then are read by your PLC Code to change the parameters.

Thank you for your ideas, I should be able to use at least one of them.

I thought of Excel/VBB, the link below is a good video and should work

After I found out how to install RSLinx......
this looks doable as well. Also here the Excel part could check that the parameters are in the acceptable ranges.
RSLinx is maybe, Excel probably, something the customers are familiar with.

What I am sceptical about: isn't VBA (that what you meant by VBB, isn't it?) the problematic software when it comes to the security problems of Excel? So it would be reasonable if it's deactivated on customer computers. But that's something I can check with collegues.

corsairhmi.com.

Thanks for sharing. It looks like a reasonable choice for PLC control but on first sight a bit too big for a small feature + the customer would need to install something new. If I don't find a simpler solution (e.g. the pylogix-script) I might come back to you.

If you're worried about adding software to PCs and/or limiting customers to Windows, then the RSLinx/Excel method may not work. Unless AB has changed things recently, you need the licensed version of RSLinx, not the free one, and RSLinx needs Windows.

When setting up a basic interface for a machine, using a physical screen HMI is my first choice. But if using an HMI isn't possible, there are other creative ways to control the machine. The choice of these methods depends on what you need to control and how complex those parameter inputs are. If the inputs are simple, you can use a straightforward setup with a few buttons and lights.

For instance, consider using multi-colored push buttons from a supplier like Banner. These can be integrated into the machine in a discreet manner. Here's a simplified example of how such an interface could work:

1. Entering Programming Mode:
    The user initiates programming mode by pressing and holding both buttons for 5 seconds. A blue light activates to indicate that the machine is in programming mode.​
  2. Inputting Parameters:
    The user enters the first digit of a parameter. After a pause of 3 seconds, the machine confirms the input by blinking a green light.​
    Similarly, the user enters the second digit. The green light blinks again after 3 seconds to confirm the input.​
  3. Setting the Variable: Following the digit inputs, the user can then input the variable for the parameter change.
  4. Exiting Programming Mode: To exit or abort the programming mode, the user holds both buttons down again for 5 seconds.

Such an interface, while basic, can be effective for small or unusual machines where more complex options are not viable. Managing up to 100 parameters in this way is challenging but doable. Nonetheless, a physical HMI is usually a more efficient solution.

Alternative Solution - Barcode Scanner:

Another creative approach is to incorporate a barcode scanner. This system allows for configuration via scanned barcodes, which can be conveniently printed in the machine's manual. The scanner is connected to the machine as needed, enabling users to configure settings through a series of scans.

🍺