Connecting a PLC5/40C to Honeywell Experion using 1785-ENET

tck

As the title indicates I am trying to connect a PLC5/40C to Honeywell Experion R301 using 1785-ENET card. I am not really familiar with PLCs at all, but I understand the basic concept of their logic and purpose.

The problem lies (at least I think it does) in the connection between RSLinx and the PLC5. In RSWho I can see the Ethernet card but it has no children, such as the backplane or even a controller. I am told that the Ethernet card and the controller are seen as one device but I am not sure that I believe this.

Has anyone ever attempted this before? If so what was the end solution?

Thanks in advance
tck

In your RSWho window, Right Click and choose "Details" instead of "Large Icons". The "Device Type" column should list the PLC type, in your case PLC-5/40C.

I guess a better test would be from RSLogix5: try to go online with the processor. The PLC-5 does not allow you to be able to see the backplane like ControlLogix.

I found the problem, it was as simple as a subnet mask change. We are running the HW system on one subnet and the PLC's on another so the Subnet mask should be 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 so they can talk.

Thanks for the help

tck