Connecting to a GeFanuc 90-30 via USB

Bilbo1161

Hi

has anyone had any luck connecting to a 9030 series PLC using a USB-Serial adapter?
I'm currently trying to use a Startech ICUSB232v2, with a prolific_PL2303 driver, to no avail.

I've set the comm port on the 9030 project to match the USB adapter port setting, but still cant connect.
The error comes up as unable to open comms port and then eventually times out.
What am I doing wrong?

Is anything else trying to use the COM port assigned to the adapter? RSLinx quite often will not relinquish the COM port even when it isn't using it. Perhaps try to assign a different COM port to the adapter.

Also, are you trying to use the serial port on the PLC power supply? That port is RS485, not RS232, so you will also need a RS485/RS232 converter in the line to use it.

Yes guys, checked it's there and it's com port number.
Doesn't appear to be anything else set to be using that port, as far as I can see.
Changed it to another USB slot and it picks a different com port, so set as that and still doesn't work.

I'm using my original lead on the end of the usb to serial adaptor, which is what I use on a laptop with a normal serial port.
Appear to be drawing a blank.

The PL2303 chipset doesn't have a complete hardware handshaking emulation, IIRC. You should try a serial converter that uses the FTDI chipset.

Some CPU models have an LED that will blink when there is traffic on the serial port. Some USB/serial adapters also have LEDs. Do you have any indication of serial traffic?
I have had success with a USB/serial adapter from Staples. Prior to that I used one I picked up at Radio Shack, but they never updated the driver for Windows 10 compatibility. I agree with Bilbo1161. The chipset is key.

Does Device Manager recognize the adapter?
Also are you using Machine Edition or Logicmaster. Did you verify in the PLC Configuration logic it is setup to look for the correct COM Port?
Ie... if "Device Manager" says it is on Com 15, then you have to set PLC logic to look for Com 15. Hopefully you are using ME... it is easier to set there and supports more com ports.