Connecting to a SLC5/05 via cellular Modem

stuofsci02

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for the following problem.

We have a water treatment system for which is has become apparent that we need to be able to remotely access the PLC for programming purposes and ideally alarming purposes. In the past I have used the 9300-RADKIT and 9300-RADES to connect to our remote AB PLCs.

Unfortunately in this application we cannot get a standard phone. Is there a product available that I could do something similar to the 9300-RADKIT via cellular technology (will be in the USA). Also is there something that will do the above, and also be able to send alarm messages to an operator cell phone?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Several ways to skin this one i think! We usually use (say) a Westermo or Siemens GSM modem to both connect remotely via RSLinx for programming/monitoring and also sending out alarm/status messages to mobile phones.

We use the serial port on the 5/05 to output text messages via the ascii write command (AWT). Then the other way, just set Linx to use a DF1 driver, configure the 'modem dialler' and you're good to go...

I've posted several other replies on this (and a couple of sample AB bits of code) if it helps.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

So in general any standard GSM modem would allow us to do what we need. Did you set up a voice account with the cell service provided or a data account?

Hi Stuart,

You can just put a standard SIM (out of any standard cell phone) if you just need to send text messages. If you want to dial in to the PLC you will need the DATA number for the SIM card. Over here we can either buy a dedicated DATA ONLY sim or the network provider can activate the data element of a standard SIM and issue you a second number...

I have found in the past it's easier to use (say) hyperterminal to test the AT commands etc - then replicate the commands in the PLC (eg - AT+CMGS=0123456789<CR> 'Message Body' <CTRL Z>) sends a basic text message.

Hope this helps!