Help Connecting PC to SLC5/04

gizmo

I'm tring to connect a laptop to a SLC5/04 Processor.

I can take the laptop and connect cable between 1784-PCMK Card @ PC(RSLogix 500) and the Programming Port on front of a test processor in a test/bench rack. I see it in RSLinx and able to download to it.

I take out test processor and plug NEW out of the box Processor, reconnect cable and do everything the same as before but never see it in RSLinx.

What did I need to do or verify to be able to connect?

I realize this is very brief (no part numbers, versions and etc.). I do not have access to them from this location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
The default DH+ node address of the SLC 5/04 is node 1, if you have anything else with that address, you will have a conflict. What is the node address of your laptop, I usually set mine for Node 63.

Change your PC address to 2 or 3. See if that solves the problem. Maybe your DH+ address is somehow changed.
Next, check your Baud rate. Maybe the new processor is shipped with 230k baud rate.

If that doesn't work, take the processor out of the rack, unplug the battery, and short the connections that have the large capacitor soldered to the PC board. Leave this connection shorted for about 5 seconds.
This should put the default processor communications back. (if it was ever changed)

Put it back in and test it.

If all fails, use your serial port and get online and look at the DH+ connection settings......

SNK said:
Leave this connection shorted for about 5 seconds.
This should put the default processor communications back. (if it was ever changed)

Put it back in and test it.
This may take longer than 5 seconds. I've waited up to a full minute before I was assured that the old program was deleted and the factory defaults restored...

Followup

I'll try the recommendations above. The PLC is located in a remote location with no phone or internet.

If it helps any, I took my test SLC5/04 processor which was Node 4 and Cleared its program.
Powered everything back up and RSLinx communicated with it at Node 1.

How do I check Baud rate and other comm parameters for that 1784-PCMK driver?
Anyone know off the top of their head what the default settings are?

Thanks

In your Rslinx driver setup, there is a pulldown menu that shows what speed to use. I think that only version b card supports 230+.
It is just a stab in the dark.

Try here

speed.gif

Another stab in the dark...

Could you have an old version of RS Linx and an old processor on your test stand, but your 5/04 is too new to be compatible?

Post your versions of each of the three items:

1) RS Linx
2) Old test stand PLC
3) New processor