Continuance of the New laptop Discussion and VM's

_Dock_

So Last week there was a discussion on new laptop options. Looking at new ones got me trying to strategize as best I can when I also have to make the switch...

First let me say that I have several machines running in the field on studio 5000 version 26, there are known issues with V26 and windows 10. So I need to support V26 on windows 7 for a while.

With the above here are my thoughts and see if this is even possible, im not very familiar with VM's. Ive always just avoided it mainly due to lack of knowledge.

1) Purchase new laptop with the latest and greatest AND a second hard drive bay..

2) Install old hard drive from old laptop as second drive and run as a VM... Allowing me to maintain the old drive and windows 7, V26, etc.

Is this even possible? Will my rockwell activation's work on the Physical laptop and in the VM? Will the VM work this way in the second drive?

You don't need to physically install the old HDD into the new laptop. Just run software on it before you retire it, which will turn it into a VM.

Windows activation and any RA activations tied to for example physical HDD ID or NIC MAC ID will break.

Will my rockwell activation's work on the Physical laptop and in the VM?

If you setup your laptop FTAM as a license server and configure the NIC's/vNIC so that the guest VM can 'talk to' the host to get the activations, then yes.