Control panels

Good deal. If we all add about two 10 amp auxiliary contacts on every control panel disconnect that we buy, it could save a lot of surprises, burned fingers, and raised hair.

Good deal. If we all add about two 10 amp auxiliary contacts on every control panel disconnect that we buy, it could save a lot of surprises, burned fingers, and raised hair.

although i agree with this practice, as well as the labels stating more than 1 power source, i prefer to after turning disconnect off and that below the disconnect is in fact de-energized with myt fluke meter, i also like to use my non-contact voltage detector to check all the terminal strips quickly. if it goes off a few times in the same spot, well then i use my fluke to doublecheck. i dont trust the non-contact with my life, but it helps catch those things that arent de-energized even tho it should be.
i also prefer to have the plc, and the motor feed voltages in seperate enclosures, as this makes it easier for troubleshooting later, not needing to worry about the higher voltages of the motor feeds, while you try to find a problem while it is running.

I also like to use my non-contact voltage detector to check all the terminal strips quickly.
That is a smart practice. Back when I got those burned spots on my finger, non-contact detectors had not been invented yet.

I once went to a skin doctor to get some warts removed. I asked him to also remove those places on my finger from the electrical burn. He looked at them, then got a magnifying glass and looked some more, and finally he got a scapel and cut of a small piece and looked at it under a microscope. "Hmmm" he said, "this is not a wart or skin tag or anything else I have ever seen. It looks almost like a callus but not quite. I don't know what they are but I don't think I can remove them safely."

I will probably have those marks in my casket.

That is a smart practice. Back when I got those burned spots on my finger, non-contact detectors had not been invented yet.
i suppose us young bucks get all the toys.

i met an old electrician on a farm once. he used his thumb and pointer finger between hot and neutral to test for voltage. that was only 120volts tho, but id never do such a thing.

It would be nice if someone made a main disconnect that had a few aux poles for this.

I've been using the Allen Bradley NextGen disconnects that have this feature. 194R-30J-1753 and 194R-60J-1753. You snap in the contact blocks for the 800F switches, up to 6, I believe. Slick deal when you need them. The also have an "inside-the-panel" lock hasp... your lock isn't doing much good hanging on an open panel door.
I've also been putting the inside handle to keep the channel lock tracks off the connecting rod