Controller Name Online Change

maiko

Hi Guys,
We have to open the discussion in our company if its a possible to change the controller name in Control/Compact Logix in Run mode of Processor.
There is GSV Instruction for read the name of controller.
But in SSV instruction there is nothing like that.

Do you know another way how to do that or whether it is even possible to do?

Thanks

I'm curious as to why you would need to do this even if it is possible. Most likely even if you could you would probably lose communication with it since most controllers use the name to Identify itself as a unique device.

You mean the information that scrolls on the display of the processor? No. there isn't a way to change that with programming. You manually set in it Logix/Designer 5000.

@jrwb4gbm - Im asking because we have program version number in controller name. In our company we have aprox. 40 production lines with same configuration. That means when we make some modification in one line and after test will be approved than it is like new version. And must be deployed to other production lines.
For communication we using another type of unifying of devices.

@jkerekes - Yes that information...Thats bad.. I hope that it will be possible...

If you visit controller tags section you will notice, the name given by user is showed against each config, input or output assembly. Therefore, changing the name of module in online mode will affect the communication.
That is not true, they show up prefixed with local, not the controller name.

It IS possible to change the controller name online using CIP messagrs. But the consequence is that you will no longer be able to go online with the controller if running v24 or above (you can but it takes some fiddling, not easy). It is also is NOT supported by Rockwell. Renaming online will also change the readout on the LCD display.

The best option is to NOT put the program version in the controller name. The ACD file does not need to be named the same as the controller. Instead put the version in the controller description which can be changed online from Studio.

EDIT: to clarify,
The controller name is NOT the hostname of the controller, the hostname can be changed at any time. The controller name is not tied to any communications, but is displayed in Linx.

Last edited: